How will the Covid pandemic end?

Based on the history of other pandemics, this will probably run the same course.

It is likely to become endemic. It will not cause the serious effects it’s causing now, especially if more people are vaccinated. Even with decreasing immunity from the vaccines, immunity will probably be enough over time that the virus will give symptoms like the common cold once everyone is either vaccinated or has had the virus.

1 Like

We discussed this before but I read that the 1918 Pandemic (Spanish Flu) affected the world for about 5 years before settling down to become the annual flu. It remained the flu until 1958 when the Asian Flu took over.

Since then there have been SARS and MERS but this is the first real pandemic for 100 years, no doubt we will learn to live with it until the next one comes along.

It will still cause deaths just like the previous annual flu but our bodies will learn to cope with it

2 Likes

I’m still wondering what happened to COVID 1-18?

1 Like

I just read yesterday that US deaths from covid-19 surpassed the Spanish flu.

There are 3 times more people in the US now, so the proportion is still less. It’s just the raw numbers that have surpassed the death toll.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/20/health/us-covid-deaths-surpass-1918-pandemic/index.html

Thankfully, we didn’t have pandemics every year for the past 18 years.

The 19 is from the year 2019.

2 Likes

I know just being sarcastic. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

I blame Trump:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03035-4

Four ways Trump has meddled in pandemic science — and why it matters

How US President Donald Trump and his administration have silenced scientists, meddled in their reports and ignored their advice.

All the President’s Lies About the Coronavirus

An unfinished compendium of Trump’s overwhelming dishonesty during a national emergency

The levels of infection and death associated with COVID-19 in the USA consistently put that country way ahead of all the countries of the world, with India and Brazil second and third respectively then the UK currently fourth.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

The end of any pandemic depends on the response of world leaders and, in the figures of Trump and Johnson, their (lack of) response fuelled and perpetuated the pandemic.

Nobody predicted those two as world leaders … :scream_cat:

Predicting the end of the pandemic could be equally fraught with “mischance” … :scream:

While all of that is true, Trump told a boatload of lies about the pandemic and made the dissemination of information difficult, he didn’t really have enough power to change the course of the pandemic except for in the very early days when more information could have given the states a better chance to respond.

In the US, the pandemic response is handled by the states. It would have been difficult to have a national lockdown. Once the states got involved, there was a patchwork of responses and lockdown requirements.

Trump couldn’t do much about that. Depending on the state, most of the scientists were ignoring his misinformation and his guidance. The states that were going along were the states where the misinformation originated.

If Trump were more of a unifying leader, the response might have been better, but the country was already polarized, so regardless of his recklessness, the death toll would probably have been high.

1 Like

I got that and it tickled me.:smiley:

2 Likes

The figures for Australia, UK, USA, France and Canada are updated daily here:

Just press “END” on your keyboard for the latest set of figures

Strangely I have just spotted the following & it seems Trumps government knew about this & that an American organisation was involved in some research into this.

Wuhan and US scientists were planning to release enhanced airborne coronavirus particles into Chinese bat populations to inoculate them against diseases that could jump to humans, leaked grant proposals dating from 2018 show.

New documents show that just 18 months before the first Covid-19 cases appeared, researchers had submitted plans to release skin-penetrating nanoparticles and aerosols containing “novel chimeric spike proteins” of bat coronaviruses into cave bats in Yunnan, China.

They also planned to create chimeric viruses, genetically enhanced to infect humans more easily, and requested $14million from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (Darpa)

Papers, confirmed as genuine by a former member of the Trump administration, show they were hoping to introduce “human-specific cleavage sites” to bat coronaviruses which would make it easier for the virus to enter human cells.

The bid was submitted by British zoologist Peter Daszak of EcoHealth Alliance, the US-based organisation, which has worked closely with the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV) researching bat coronaviruses.

A Covid-19 researcher from the [World Health Organisation (WHO), who wished to remain anonymous, said it was alarming that the grant proposal included plans to enhance the more deadly disease of Middle-East Respiratory Syndrome (Mers).

“The scary part is they were making infectious chimeric Mers viruses,” the source said.

“These viruses have a fatality rate over 30 per cent, which is at least an order of magnitude more deadly than Sars-CoV-2.

“If one of their receptor replacements made Mers spread similarly, while maintaining its lethality, this pandemic would be nearly apocalyptic.”

Edited to add.

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency is a research and development agency of the United States Department of Defense responsible for the development of emerging technologies for use by the military.

So if the DARPA did fund this reserch, then trump could very well be responsible, unltimatly, as the president who has so far killed 4.7 million people worldwide.

Sounds likely … :+1:

1 Like