How to Strengthen Legs prior to starting Cycling again after 16 Year Break

Hello all

I hope you are well.

I recently Purchased a New Bike, a Trek Dual Sport 3 (XL) with a view to start Cycling again after 16 Years.

The last Time I Cycled was in 2006 when I used to Cycle to Work, it was not a Long Commute but I used to enjoy it.

I only got the Bike Last September as there were Stock Issues, I actually Ordered it in March 2022, so I did not really get much opportunity to Cycle before the Winter Weather started.

I finally managed to get out on the Bike this past Tuesday and it did not go well.

Approximately Half a Mile away from Home my Legs started to feel Weak, I kept going and only a few Minutes Later, my Legs collapsed and I had to Stop.

At this point, my Legs were not able to hold me up, I had to wait for approximately 10 Minutes before I was able to Dismount the Bike and another 20 Minutes before I could Walk, slowly, Home.

I do not wish to be put in this position again so I am looking at Exercises that I could do at Home in order to Strengthen my Legs.

For the Last Few Days, since Tuesday, I have been using the Bottom Two Steps of the Stairs, Walk Up Two Steps, then Walk Down Two Steps, I have been doing this 20 Times, each Time.

It is making my Legs feel like they did on Tuesday so I assume the Steps are targeting the same Muscles.

I just do not know How Many and How Often I should be doing the Steps in order to Strengthen my Legs so any Advice would be welcome.

As an aside, I am Autistic so going to a Gym etc. is not feasible for me.

Thanks in advance for any Advice that you can offer, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, Kevin! :wave:

Thanks for posting the thread. I’d like to strengthen my legs too, so I’ll be interested to see what others say.

Hello

Thanks for the Welcome :nerd_face:

I think I have been overdoing the Steps so hopefully someone has some advice, for both of us.

Kevin

1 Like

Hi Kevin and welcome!

First and foremost keep yourself safe regardless.
Maybe have a chat with a qualified professional regarding your hopes and targets as far as fitness is concerned?

I love cycling but I’ve had to have a massive rethink of late due to a damaged ankle.

Anyway enjoy your bike, I haven’t ridden a Trek for years… happy days!

1 Like

Hello

Thanks for the Reply.

I neglected to state in my Original Post that I was actually advised to take up Cycling again by a Medical Practitioner after discussing my aims.

I used to really enjoy Cycling and hopefully I can regain that enjoyment.

Being Autistic it would be an ideal pursuit for me, being a solitary endeavour as I do not like being around People.

Thanks

Kevin

1 Like