How to remove anchor bolts from concrete?

Thanks Bruv, appreciated.
I’ve tried WD40, which loosened the nuts and I managed to remove them, but the shank of the bolt if still left in the ground with the top inch sticking out.

Good idea about ‘whacking’ the bolts, but I don’t want to damage the concrete around them too much as any new bolts may not be tight enough…it may well be the best option to cement a new post in after all.

Because I’ve removed the entire bracket and can’t get the bolts out.

But then I would need to drill some more holes. I’ve measured my fence to fit exactly where the old post went.

No it’s knackered. Easier to buy a new bracket.

Nice job Bruce:cool:

It’s a wooden post for a gate that I’m replacing. I can’t use galvanised as the hinges won’t fit properly.

I’m at work now but I’ll try to send a photo tomorrow, unless I manage to solve this scratch-headed problem.

Hi

Use a hollow core drill to drill into the concrete around them and drill down 20mm below the length of the bolt.

Snap them off, pull them out and fill the hole with epoxy and insert new bolts.

Hollow core drill bits are available for SDS Drills.

This is the method used for replacing the linings of Nuclear Pressure Vessels.

It should work for your fence.:smiley:

Why not just pull the concrete out and replace it I don’t think you can get those bolts out by their nature they are designed to not pull out. When I pulled out the wood posts from my old fence I pulled out/broke up the concrete they were set in and reused the hole. A few bags of ready mix is cheap enough.

The alternative is to use H4 treated pine timber set in the concrete, nothing, not even termites attacks them. I have some forming a retaining wall that has been there 37 years , no sign of rot or damage. (Has to be H4)

Hi

Bruce has a good point there.

We put fishing pegs in the River Severn, hundreds of them.

The posts are 20 year guaranteed Marine Tanalised, set in Concrete.

They are sometimes vandalised or damaged.

To make them easier to replace, we smother them with grease and then put a plastic bag around them before setting in the concrete.

They then slide in and out without any problem.

I am not sure you even need to grease them when we replaced the old fence we just levered the old posts out then either smashed the concrete they were set in or, if it was still in good condition, put in a (much thinner) metal post and added more concrete.

My kids will hate this photo but they were much younger then and not happy about being made to work but you can see how easy the old posts came out with suitable leverage.

Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world. - Archimedes (200BC)

http://www.over50sforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3323&d=1499672487

There is a trick using a left handed drill bit which can be used on sheared bolts but not sure if it it would work on anchor bolts though.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=remove+bolts+with+left+handed+drill+bit&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGHP_enGB726GB733&q=removing+broken+bolt+with+left+handed+drill+bit&gs_l=hp..0.0i22i30.0.0.0.17115…0.Egdb_JSlOHk&gws_rd=ssl#aq=&gws_rd=ssl&kpvalbx=1&spf=1499676373273

Expanding anchor bolts are made to be non removable, so break out the concrete surrounding the bolts or, preferably, the whole concrete base and redo.

Just as a tip though, I always set fence posts in granite chippings rather than a concrete mix. As the post moves slightly in the wind the chippings very soon tighten together to form a surround as firm as concrete, but is easily removeable should the need arise.

Do you use resins Barry?

I would do if necessary on a repair, but preparation of the existing concrete has to be rigorous to guarantee adhesion. Personally I’d prefer to remove the whole block if possible and start afresh.

Last fence I did was using concrete slotted posts and a concrete (board) at the bottom between posts. New fencing can then just be slipped in and out easily whatever type of fence used. Having the fence rest on concrete it stops it rotting which it wood if straight onto grass/earth.

To get those bolts out would mean using a kango hammer to smash up the concrete or dug around and take up the lot.

Yes, I can understand that.

Good in theory but unless you are herculean, or very tall with long arms, picking up a new fence panel and slotting it in is impossible.

True, strength is required, but easy enough for two normal working men. :wink:

I can vouch for that. I did it on my own once, just one panel, on a step ladder. Not easy.

That’s just bonkers, if you aren’t strong enough then get some help rather than risk an accident or risk hurting youself. :shock:

The guy who put the concrete posts in, managed to pick up the panels and slot them in on his own! but years later when one of the panels needed replacing, OH (who had long arms) and I just couldn’t do it and he eventually managed to bend the panel somehow and ‘pop’ it in.

Last time, my friend decided the only way to do it was to cut through the frame and then screw a piece of wood across the cut after it was in. Not ideal but it worked.