How the UK became the sick man of European tourism

Spain, Italy, Turkey and other countries popular with millions of UK tourists are feeling the pinch too. Maybe stay at home holidaymakers are spending their money here so not all is lost.

2 Likes

I had spent a good part of the Afternoon reading up on European History…going back to before the year 200… hard to take it all in with the names of all the various warriors…as that is what they sure were…with War Lords before the Monacs
The world in compassion to all that History is very at peace, I just reached the 12 Century still very confused but fascinating, will just have to read it again…but constantly, still at war with many.
…France seem to have not existed even…sure what I am reading France stems from the Franks around the 3rd Century…mainly of German origin .Don’t take my word for this just yet as the L plates are on still.
Basically the World now seems a better place than it was way back then…Wars it seems to me were a way of life to most.
So as bad as it seems with the media so strong to try and influence us now, we need to not be taking so much notice of all this talk… and go by your own much more sensible thoughts…

1 Like

Yes,you probably haven’t even got to the Hapsburgs yet and the Thirty Years War.Not a nice time for ordinary folk.

2 Likes

Thank you @RightNow Its opened my eyes too, I must admit, because we are fed this story that everyone regards us with such respect, and we are friends with everybody. Clearly the US see us in a very different light from that which we see ourselves - and yes, I do hear disparaging stories about America and the tutting at how poorly managed your country is. Instead of talking about each other over the “garden fence” of the ocean, we should be helping and supportive of each other. Its idealistic, of course, but y’know…we can hope :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Scot, I do hope so…:+1:

1 Like

The media is awful, Dianne, and I would rather ignore it! :joy:

1 Like

I agree with you there< CNN being the worst.
A quote from your link.

“While the UK was the first country in Europe to kick off its vaccination program, in recent months it has lagged behind its peers. Just under 69% of Britons have been vaccinated, according to Johns Hopkins University. Portugal, on the other hand, is at an 87% vaccination rate.”

Are actual figures are.
88.3% have had first jab
80.3% have had second jab.
26.2% have had the booster jab.

1 Like

I would think your’ll find that fully vaccinated is not the same for your figures which are done separately…
I am not keen on putting my these figures really because even when a good source is used it can be wrong…
Think if you read it closer, your’ll see your errors in your quoted figures.
Would be a shame if the figures were that much out…which they are not,

Is that down to intransigence of the British public?

He got his figures Wrong so throw paper darts at him lol
Vaccine Tracker

VACCINE TRACKER

Learn more about vaccines ›

Doses Administered

People Fully Vaccinated

% of Population Fully Vaccinated

69.06%
So States Fully Vaccinated Percentage
not Figures for !st 2nd and the Boosters Separately.

Got the figures of a Gov web site.

Vaccinations in the UK | Coronavirus in the UK (data.gov.uk)

1 Like

I thought you were questioning the 69.06% Fully Vaccinated figures.
…It is confusing the way they quote in different forms…
Light hearted comments though… :icon_confused:.

I as questioning the Figure of 69.06%.of the fully Vaccinated

The fully vaccinated figure then should include the third booster jab which only started 2 months ago the figure for that is 26.2%

Do not believe a word CNN spouts they are worse than the Guardian for twisting basic facts.

That Data had nothing to do with CNN. No idea why you thought that.
https://www.coronavirus-statistiques.com/a-propos/
As it is transcribed in French I have copied and pasted…

WHERE DID THIS IDEA COME FROM? THE GENESIS

It all started with a reflection by the co-founder of the Eficiens agency, Francis Mahut.

“At the end of February when the epidemic started to grow in Europe, I decided to make up my own mind, to form my own opinion . For that, I wanted to have graphs, trends, put them in perspective, cross data.

And it was clear that little information was available. Beyond the incessant flow of news channels and sites, there was little information available to put it into perspective. Sometimes, the information appeared and then disappeared - such as the number of cases of people affected by the coronavirus by department in Ile-de-France. Strange…

I then decided to create my own statistical documentary base. And since the work was done, to make it available to you.

20 days later, we are at 14 different pages and almost 120,000 visitors per day. Our ambition is now to offer the only French-language site that compiles data from the department to the continent.

Because, finally, analyzing (big) data and putting it in shape on high-performance and well-referenced sites fundamentally corresponds to our two basic professions at Eficiens, the media with in-depth statistical analysis, and the design and implementation. building robust websites with a high level of interest and performance. ”

Francis Mahut - March 23, 2020.

This site is of course offered for informational purposes only and without any commercial aim (no advertising, no commercial links). Eficiens offers the server, the bandwidth and the general infrastructure. A team of volunteers quickly joined the initiative. We thank them for that.

And since the agency also publishes a Blog specializing in Insurance, Health and Digital , there is a form of continuity to provide a complementary editorial and statistical angle.
Nothing more to add whatsoever on this …

The latest UK government figures for over 12s are published here.
UK Summary | Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the UK (data.gov.uk)

1 Like

BECAUSE I read the CNN article which STATED the stat of 69.06%.

CNN published it and to my mind it was wrong so I did some digging to find the truth.

So one year after the opening of this thread has the situation improved regarding tourism?

It is true we have stopped our yearly long trips to the UK for the last 3 years but might be planning a first trip back next summer hopefully.

Hi

We have not done well in our response to the ending of Travel Restrictions , there was no forward planning, staffing and capacity issues seriously affected both Border Control and the airports themselves.

The situation is still dire, with long delays and thousands of flights cancelled.

1 Like

The UK Tourism forecast for 2021 was accurate and in line with what was reported a year ago - it’s too soon to say whether the forecast for 2022 is going to be accurate but it is forecast to be much improved on last year but not much more than half the figures for 2019.

“International tourism visits to the United Kingdom decreased in 2021 over the previous year, following a dramatic drop in 2020 due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Overall, it was estimated that the number of overseas visits to the UK totaled roughly 7.1 million in 2021, declining from around 11 million in the first year of the health crisis and nearly 41 million in 2019. As forecast, overseas visits to the UK are predicted to partially recover in 2022, rising to approximately 26.7 million.”

1 Like

Thanks very much for the link and informative post. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like