How the UK became the sick man of European tourism

It’s a country that has just endured national fuel shortages, isolated food shortages, and its government voted this fall to dump untreated sewage onto its famous coastlines. Oh – and it has the second highest number of Covid-19 cases in the world.

So who would want to go on vacation in the UK at the moment?

Not many, the figures show.

For 2021, national tourist board Visit Britain has forecast that visitor numbers will be lower even than in 2020, when travel restrictions were at their highest.

• interesting perspective on the UK, from America… :thinking:

I do not know exacting figures but just short example re Holidays.
…Good friends of our came over to France recently for over a month’s holiday staying in their beloved 2nd home here…
By the last week they had to organise the Covid19 tests, which was quite simple to find out the procedure for that.
Now getting the results is not that straightforward…in fact it took them a whole day, first trying to receive the results via there mobile, that failed…They visited the Blood Centre only to find that they had to attend a different place for the results…Queuing again of course.
They got them ok in the end , just in time to leave for the Ferry Port…
They did say even before the run about with the Covid19 Test…The Holiday really with so many things you cannot do that you normally can…just was not worth the Trouble…

1 Like

That’s such a shame for your friends, Dianne. Yes this virus has ruined so many things for so many people.

I just thought the American perspective of us was interesting…how they think we are so bad :frowning: Makes us sound like we are teetering on the brink of collapse… :scream:

1 Like

They should have come over on a rubber boat, then they would have been put up in a four-star hotel, all expenses paid, and be given an allowance to spend on what they want.

1 Like

Now, now…don’t be mean! :018: :joy:

Not mean as such, I’m just fed-up with the invasion of freeloaders.

Funny that…But he was a Policeman having gone through some of the worst riots known to man, so knows rights from wrongs… :innocent:
…They do live very comfortably for one reason, so would have to be a cruiseship at the least… and not that keen on the swimming side of life Judd… :laughing:.

Big issue’s Trixie…the UK is so small, the population is so huge…the sums just don’t work…

2 Likes

Yes me too, and nothing is being done about it.

But I’m curious about how we are viewed by other countries around us, the ones who we regard as being equal to us…it seems as though they are rolling their eyes at us, to be honest.

2 Likes

I was looking at these figures earlier they appear to be of a reliable source.

1 Like

Good graph there Dianne…interesting information! I’m bookmarking it :+1:

1 Like

Pixie, as an American, I have endured all avenues of criticism and stated judgments on how our country is being run, our likes and dislikes, and having foreigners quick to point fingers and look down their noses at us.

This thread is opening eyes to what the world sees in the UK. That article is the truth…quick to judge and I imagine it’s very hard to comprehend how other countries view the UK. I try very hard not to judge other countries because I do not begin to understand the workings. I wish others would do the same. :unamused:

3 Likes

Yes they can be rather long winded once you start looking.
I do believe there are also links for the USA figures…within it somewhere…

1 Like

Spain, Italy, Turkey and other countries popular with millions of UK tourists are feeling the pinch too. Maybe stay at home holidaymakers are spending their money here so not all is lost.

2 Likes

I had spent a good part of the Afternoon reading up on European History…going back to before the year 200… hard to take it all in with the names of all the various warriors…as that is what they sure were…with War Lords before the Monacs
The world in compassion to all that History is very at peace, I just reached the 12 Century still very confused but fascinating, will just have to read it again…but constantly, still at war with many.
…France seem to have not existed even…sure what I am reading France stems from the Franks around the 3rd Century…mainly of German origin .Don’t take my word for this just yet as the L plates are on still.
Basically the World now seems a better place than it was way back then…Wars it seems to me were a way of life to most.
So as bad as it seems with the media so strong to try and influence us now, we need to not be taking so much notice of all this talk… and go by your own much more sensible thoughts…

1 Like

Yes,you probably haven’t even got to the Hapsburgs yet and the Thirty Years War.Not a nice time for ordinary folk.

2 Likes

Thank you @RightNow Its opened my eyes too, I must admit, because we are fed this story that everyone regards us with such respect, and we are friends with everybody. Clearly the US see us in a very different light from that which we see ourselves - and yes, I do hear disparaging stories about America and the tutting at how poorly managed your country is. Instead of talking about each other over the “garden fence” of the ocean, we should be helping and supportive of each other. Its idealistic, of course, but y’know…we can hope :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Scot, I do hope so…:+1:

1 Like

The media is awful, Dianne, and I would rather ignore it! :joy:

1 Like

I agree with you there< CNN being the worst.
A quote from your link.

“While the UK was the first country in Europe to kick off its vaccination program, in recent months it has lagged behind its peers. Just under 69% of Britons have been vaccinated, according to Johns Hopkins University. Portugal, on the other hand, is at an 87% vaccination rate.”

Are actual figures are.
88.3% have had first jab
80.3% have had second jab.
26.2% have had the booster jab.

1 Like