How much TV do you watch?

I mean normal Over The Air broadcast tv like BBC1, ITV etc.?

As a family and individually the time we’ve spent watching BBC etc. has decreased considerably over the years so that nowadays we watch very, very little.
Certainly under an hour per day on average, and probably well under an hour at that.

In fact the only time Mrs Zaphod watches “regular” tv is if something like the Sewing Bee is on and she’s not even as much inclined to watch Bake Off as she used to be either, preferring Netflix/Disney/Prime Video etc.
Pretty much the only time I will watch OTA tv is if I’m around at news-time and as for Zaphod Junior, well the younger generations don’t really “do” tv.

Social media possibly has an impact too because it’s far easier to pause a streamed show if you want to and then answer a post or chat to a pal than it is with OTA telly.

So how much OTA tv do you watch nowadays and if you’re not watching tv, what are you doing … other than spending your time here on over50schat of course?

2 Likes

I never watch regular TV nowadays (I’m talking about 3 years or more). My TV licence ran out in May this year and I haven’t renewed it yet - doubt I will. The TV is on - Mr P likes movies and history stuff, so I might watch that but I find watching things quite boring now. If I’m not on here chatting, I’m doing housework, out with the dog, or making stuff. I go online for other things, like news, job hunting, watching Youtube etc :smiley:

1 Like

Threw the TV out in 2003 - haven’t missed it yet!

1 Like

Zilch. Nada of Live TV - I tend to watch box sets supplied by Amazon Prime, or DVDs/downloaded films. You can download complete series’ of classic TV shows from YouTube too.

1 Like

Can you? For free or for payment?

We never did have the TV on during the day, not since our kids were kids…
Just lately as My Husband enjoys conversations with our beloved Cats, …tongue in cheek… but some truth in that…
I have switched from Music to Good Morning TV…sure it is in the background, I miss most of it…See them modelling clothes and I am fixed for a few minutes… I listen to it just here and there…

…Normally out and about so much…even with lockdown the Garden is the place you will find us most of the time…Evenings, I listen to music and read and look about on the PC and sometimes I am glued to this Forum…well quite a lot lately…

1 Like

For me, very little. F1 and an odd bit of the old Top Gear. .

1 Like

I watch very little TV, I try to watch the news and I like nature programmes and the occasional quiz shows.

I dislike all the dramas full of bad language and violence.

1 Like

Amazon Prime costs me £7.99 per month (quelle bargain :wink: ). The shows from YouTube are downloaded for free with an add-on to my FireFox browser.

Very really watch mainstream tv these day’s, Monday night with only connect and Uni challenge is about it, although if there is something like real CSI on I’ll watch.

1 Like

I have prime, but not sure if I’m a big fan of whats on offer.

There’s not as much as is on Netflix, but there’s quite a wide range including some really good Amazon Original stuff.

Amazon Prime as a “thing” is good (music and deliveries etc) but their TV efforts are pretty awful, if I’m honest. :frowning:

1 Like

All I can say is that now i watch far too much

I start at 11am with the ABC’s daily broadcast of the Premier’s Covid news conference.

The next time I turn on the TV is daily at 7pm for the News followed by the 7.30pm report (the latter only on weekdays)

On Monday I also turn on the TV for Media Watch and Wednesday for Hard Quiz and or Shaun Micalef’s Mad as Hell.

That’s it, all on the ABC and quite enough, Commercial TV is a total wasteland as far as I am concerned.

1 Like

I suppose that it depends upon what your tastes are, @PixieKnuckles
Bosch is excellent for example and Zaphod Junior & I adore The Grand Tour & Clarksons Farm.
The Marvelous Mrs Maisel; Sneakey Pete; the Man In The High Castle; The Expanse … there’s quite a bit.

1 Like

Apologies if I seemed to be dismissive…I don’t recognise any of these titles you mention, and anything I have happened to see, aren’t really interesting enough for me to sit and watch. Like I said earlier, I find it hard to stay engaged with things on TV these days.

I enjoyed Bosch, Grand tours are alright.

2 Likes

No need & I didn’t think that at all @PixieKnuckles
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Each to their own and we’ve all got different likes.
But I’m surprised at how many of us older generation don’t watch OTA tv any more, or only watch a little of it.
If you listened to UK media they try to say that it’s the younger ones that are turning off, but this thread suggests otherwise.

1 Like

I don’t have a tv license.

I watch prime amazon and YouTube.

1 Like

I watch very little terrestrial TV; Sewing Bee and Call the Midwives are about the only two shows I can think of. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime and they are more than enough. If it were just me I would do away with the TV licence and cancel the Virgin media TV package, but Mr B enjoys sport, all kinds of sport, so for him it’s money well spent.

2 Likes