How much is your council tax?

And has it gone up recently?

My extensively extended property is in band F and my charges are £3,194.55 but divided into 10 payments.

1 Like

I presume these are what used to be council rates. Mine go up every year but the increase is capped by the state government, currently the cap is about 3.7%

My rates total about $1500 (750 pounds) a year but I get a $250 rebate as a pensioner.

Our rates are calculated on four things:

1. A flat base rate that everyone pays to spread out the cost of rates fairly across the city.
  2. A variable amount based on the value of your land. This is known as an ad valorem. Land values are set by the NSW Valuer General and do not include buildings or any other improvements on your property.
  3. A waste charge, which covers your red, yellow and green bins being collected. This cost depends on the size and number of bins you have.
  4. A stormwater management charge which applies to all properties. This goes towards Council maintaining and improving flood and stormwater infrastructure. This fee does not apply if the property is vacant land.

I only have an 80 litre red bin which saves me over $100 a year.

1 Like

We are Band E and pay £1830.80 council tax, £284.13 for water and £329.78 for sewerage making a total of £2444.71

1 Like

I know my council tax band is E not sure how much I pay .

Also the same with water metered supply.

Just found council tax statement £1815.70 that includes a single persons allowance.

1 Like

My small 2 bedroomed bungalow is in Band C and this year’s Council Tax has been set at £1885.30 for the year.
(I receive a 25% discount on that because I live alone, so I’ll be paying £1413.97, spread over 10 monthly payments)

In the last few years, the amount charged has usually increased by about £50 or so (around 3%) and I was quite satisfied with the way our local District Council managed our finances and local services - but this year the Increase has more than doubled to an increase of £125 (7.5% increase)

The irony is, my Council Tax Bill came with a leaflet reminding me that from the 1st April this year, my District Council and 6 other District and Borough Councils have now all been scrapped and all their services have now been “merged” with the County Council. This makes it one of the largest single Councils in England.
The leaflet goes on to say
“By joining up services and maximising our spending power, the [new] Council will save between £30 million and £70 million.…”

I feel like writing back to ask, if this Council Merger is supposed to be saving money, why has my Council Tax increased more than double the usual annual increase that our old District Council used to charge?

To be honest, when I first heard that they were merging all the borough and district councils into one big council, I knew we would see a big increase in Council Tax in my district because we have always had lower Council Tax because we have fewer public services out here in the sticks than the residents in the Borough Council town areas.
It stands to reason that now we have to start paying the same taxes as those in Borough Council areas where expenditure is higher, then we will have to pay extra, for all those services we’ve never had and are not likely to get.

According to the new Council website, the average Council Tax increase for this year was 5%, which shows that this “levelling out” across the old Council areas must have benefitted those in the higher spending Council areas, while residents in lower spending Council areas like mine are paying more.

1 Like

My property would be Band G for which I currently pay £170 a year. As of 2025 I’ll pay twice as much but still a ridiculously low amount by comparison which tells me that real estate is taxed differently here. Obviously, it’s not council taxes that effectively prevent people from buying real estate but other factors.

1 Like

What does your council tax cover Dachs? Do you pay for refuse collection separately?

1 Like

Yes, I do to the tune of £70/year but the money goes to a private company. All in all, utilities amount to about £3,400 a year in addition to council tax but none of that money goes to the municipality.

I just received my Council Rates notice,here it is in full. I have wiped out any identifying info I hope

It has gone up a hell of a lot since last year when it was about $1500. $1600 is about £800 per year which is a ridiculous amount to pay the council. As you can see it would be $250 more if I wasn’t a pensioner.

Read it and weep (I did)

Personally I will pay it all next month but you can pay it in instalments if you want. I should go into the the council and pay it is cash then I would save the 1c :wink: