How Many Torches Do You Have?

Good grief Danny . . we’ll see you flashing from here!
Ooer . . . :open_mouth: :laughing:

3 Likes

I shouldn’t laugh… but :laughing: :laughing:

2 Likes

I have a lot, no idea how many. Head torches, hand held, small, large & mini, Spot light type & one on my keyring.

1 Like

I have 3. One small one on a band to go around my head, one that’s really the headlight from my bike, and a wind up one I keep in the car.

1 Like

I have quite a collection of torches, ranging from mini pocket size to large diameter lamps - couldn’t count how many I have because they are dotted about in different places.
The ones I find most useful are my head torch, because it leaves your hands free to do stuff and a really nifty telescopic torch. It’s small and light and it has lots of useful features - several different types of beam on the head and body of the torch, so you can hang it up for general light or use the concentrated beam on the telescopic bendy stem that you can curve to illuminate hard to reach places. I think it is marketed as a camping torch but we use it to work in dark cramped spaces in the boat, like the under-deck engine compartment - it even has a magnet pad on the end of the torch, so you can extend it and bend it to pick up nuts or screws that you drop in hard to reach spots!

We have a few wind-up torches cos you never know when you may need one - in the car, on the boats and one in my hiking rucksack.

I always used to keep a torch in my bag or pocket in case I needed one when I was out and about but I now find the torch on my mobile phone is all I need, unless I’m camping or boating.

1 Like

Just noticed this, so out of duty I feel I ought to add my fourpenn’orth.

I have had, for about 30 years, a rather big torch which takes five D-Cells (an inconvenient number as they only seem to sell them in twos!) It’s an impressive size, but rather inconvenient to carry around.

At the other extreme, I have a Mini-Maglite which takes two AA cells.

Then I have one of those torches that you squeeze and which generates its own electricity.

Also, more recently, a small torch taking two AA cells but which uses an LCD and gives out quite a bright floodlight.

Finally (I think), I have a headlight which takes four AA batteries which is very useful for when I’m doing something and don’t have a spare hand. This and the previous one are the only ones I ever seem to use, actually.

I think that’s all, but why anyone should need FIVE torches I don’t know. I think my problem is that I’m a tight-fisted Yorkie who never throws anything away.

1 Like

I had one of those until the battery died. It was great.

1 Like

I have a couple of wind up torches laying around, which I use when needed, rather than faffing with batteries.

Plus, I have a small black light torch that uses 2 AAA batteries. This I use, to show people my Scorpions. As Scorpions glow under black light. No one knows why, but they do.

1 Like

I have a Lupine Piko Duo head torch which I use for night sea-fishing. The thing is insane at around 1600 lumens on full tilt.

https://www.lupine.de/products/headlamps/piko-rx

1 Like

One for the head. A large hand held, for picking up dog poo in the dark. Some small, old ones, dotted about somewhere. The one on my mobile (and I still have the outgoing phone to use). And one in the loft.

1 Like

Too many to count! :grinning:

1 Like

I don’t have any. I suppose I should get at least one, just in case I go night-fishing, if for no other reason. :thinking:

2 Likes

Have you ever been fishing? If not, it seems like an unnecessary expense :fishing_pole_and_fish::fish::tropical_fish:

2 Likes

I dabbled with fishing when I was in my teens, but it didn’t last very long before I realised what a ridiculous activity it was. I still might buy a torch; one never knows when one might want to look at something in the dark. :thinking:

1 Like

Far from being a ridiculous activity, I find fishing to be a wonderful way of recharging my mental batteries. Even if I’m not catching fish, I’m out in the fresh air, watching wild birds and animals go about their lives, etc. Fantastic way to spend a few hours.

1 Like

Just because I think it’s ridiculous, I didn’t mean to imply that everyone should find it so, Percy. If you can see any point in it, then carry on wasting time enjoying it. :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Why, oh why, do you have to do it? “carry on enjoying it” would have been totally acceptable but you had to go and spoil it didn’t you?

2 Likes

Forgive me, Percy. :pensive:

1 Like

Meanwhile - back with the torches - I have 12 - all the same - small ones with LED bulbs. One in each room, one in the hall, one in my handbag, one in the pocket of my Hi Vis jacket, one in the garage, and two spare in a drawer in the kitchen.

1 Like

I have 2 wind up LED torches (1 in car, 1 in kitchen drawer), 1 cycle LED headlight kept in my tool tray these days, 1 LED head torch, and 1 titchy key-fob LED torch.

1 Like