How Many Times Have You Moved House?

In a reply to a recent post, a Senior Member, of this Forum said that he had never, once, moved Homes.

He was still living in the house, in which he was born, some 50 or so years ago!

A quick count, of my moves, produces 7 real moves, excluding going to live on lots of ships & and in the occasional temporary flat.

Why were those moves made?

Many in pursuit of work opportunities, a couple to expand the number of rooms, (as the family grew).

Only had one disaster, the Estate Agent decamped with our money & we sent him off to jail.

How about you?

:family_man_woman_girl_boy: :eagle:

1 Like

More than I can count.
:blush:
Partly as a result of my fatherā€™s career and later as a result of mine, when climbing the career ladder inevitably meant moving.
On the bright side I am quite the expert at packing.
:grin:
In recent years though not so much, with only two moves in the past 15 years - but we are already planning our next.

1 Like

10 times. There might be one more move yet.

1 Like

You carry a gun?

:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Three times. From home as a youngster, Cippenham, Slough, as a new wife, for 6 years, now here & here has been 48 years. Iā€™d hate to move, all the ā€˜stuffā€™ weā€™ve collected/bought over those years. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

1 Like

Just the once, that was enough for a lifetime. It was so stressful, thanks to the estate agents and how they work (or donā€™t much in this case)! :frowning_face:

1 Like

I once counted 23 moves over 6 countiesā€¦

1 Like

Only once for me

1 Like

Blimey Meg!!

Family home for about 36 years (east London). Moved with parents to a park home (Essex). Moved out after a couple of years to a flat rental, back to east London. After a couple of years bought my shared ownership flat, east London. After 25.5 years sold up and moved to Lowestoft to a rental. 7 months later moved a few miles away to my own home.

Unless I win the lottery this could and should be my last. Or unless I sell up and go into an old peopleā€™s home.

1 Like

16 times - and I thought this would be my last move, but I canā€™t gel with this place at all, . :confused:

Trouble is, I donā€™t know if I can be bothered to go through it all again. And anyway, the money spent doing it all means there would be little money left to pay for care in the future, if I needed it.

The other side of the coin:
When Iā€™m up there in heaven having slipped off the plate, and noting that in fact I didnā€™t need any care, Iā€™m going to be mightily p***ed off.
Iā€™ll be positively seething I didnā€™t make the 17th move. :091:

. .

This House is staying put, we may move though. :biking_man:

1 Like

Too many times to count purely because in my teens and 20s I rented places and moved a lot. I moved with my parents three times from Cheltenham to Kent.

However since I bought my current house over 40 years ago I have not moved at all. I have thought of buying a second home for winter in Queensland or the Pilbara (Broome in particular) but this pandemic has shown that procrastinating over that was a good move.

I am in a similar situation, not with moving as I doubt I will ever do that again, far too stressful, but with another situation so know exactly what you mean having to allow for possible future care. Itā€™s said that hindsight is a wonderful thing but wouldnā€™t it be great for us to have accurate foresight, the future results of all current plans would be there to see! :grinning:

Home addresses onlyā€¦
1951 Born at Grove Street
1963 Moved to Allcroft Street at 12
1965 Moved to Rufford Drive at 14
1969 Moved to Sutton Road at 18
1972 Moved to bedsit Garden Road when I first married at 21
1972 Moved then to Farnsfield Court
1974 Moved then to Daniel Crescent
1982 Moved then on separation to Gladstone Street
1982 Moved then into lodgings for a short while at Kirton Close
1983 Moved then to Skegby Lane and met Rosemary and married.
1986 Moved then to High Street
1988 Moved then to New Mill Lane
1989 Moved then to new house that we built next door.
1999 Moved to Stanley Road
2015 Moved to Clipstone Drive
2015 Moved to where we are now on Poplar Groveā€¦

Phew, and here we stayā€¦ I hope ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

From birth -15 times.

Before I left home my parents moved 3 times then when I left home moved 4 times each time to ā€œimproveā€ here since 1992 could move but to be honest not where I may choose with fresh eyes but good neighbours, good transport links, local shops and the house has enough space (maybe too much) so can see me staying put.

Wales - Africa - Essex - Wales - Africa - x 4
Essex - New Zealand - Essex - Buckinghamshire - Berkshire - France - Berkshire - IOW.
Thatā€™s about 28

Twiceā€¦. Once in childhood and second when I marriedā€¦. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 times including leaving parents house when we married