How many days could you last in solitary confinement?

Do you think you could handle being in a bare room with no mental stimulation? Would it be a positive or negative experience?
Shutting out the world and everything for a day, 3 days, a week?
I would like to try it for 2 days and see what happens in my head.

I am ok in my own companyā€¦butā€¦ one never knows

1 Like

No more than 2 hours.

1 Like

I would have to know more about the actual set up. On TV, the worst part about psych wards and solitary jail cells is all the noise around.

If this was soundproof 4 white walls with a comfortable bed, food I could choose and all the amenities for hygiene and comfort like a constant nice temperature, all paid by someone else, sounds pretty blissful to me.

The food alone would give me a lot to think about. Then thereā€™s what routines would give the most comfort and how much sleep is required when other obligations arenā€™t required.

Unless robots are giving the food, there would be some social interaction with the person delivering it.

Iā€™m not sure they could get me out. :upside_down_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Is this solitary confinement voluntary or enforced?

in-the-film-the-great-escape-the-cooler-king-passes-time-in-solitary-confinement-with-the-help-of-what-ball

I wouldnā€™t last five minutes, if I want peace and quiet Iā€™ll head for the woods :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

How about this?

CNN ā€”

If you stand in it for long enough, you start to hear your heartbeat. A ringing in your ears becomes deafening. When you move, your bones make a grinding noise. Eventually you lose your balance, because the absolute lack of reverberation sabotages your spatial awareness.

In this room at Microsoftā€™s headquarters in Redmond, Washington, all sound from the outside world is locked out and any sound produced inside is stopped cold. Itā€™s called an ā€œanechoicā€ chamber, because it creates no echo at all ā€“ which makes the sound of clapping hands downright eerie.

Apparently the record stands at 55 minutes :flushed:

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t like it.I need distractions.I would miss the outside not so much people.

3 Likes

I think I would be ok provided thereā€™s light. If itā€™s darkness, Iā€™d be terrified.

Do I get a bed?

If not, Iā€™ll take a mattress then with a blanket and three square meals a day. Throw in a couple of books in English or Afrikaans and Iā€™ll be as snug as a pig in mud. :pig:

Yes. Iā€™d like fries :fries: with that order please!

4 Likes

Iā€™m okay with my own company, you have to be when you are an ultra long distance runner. Itā€™s not so much the event than the months and months of training out on yer own. Most of my 45 years of running was done by myself, and I thought nothing of going out into the wild places walking solo. But depending on the reason and environment I could only tell you after I tried it. There are treatments at health clubs where you can be placed in a tank of water, perfectly quiet and kept at a given temperature. Never tried that, but it sounds interesting. I think they call them ā€˜Anti-gravity tanksā€™ because after a while you donā€™t know the difference between up and downā€¦
:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

If it were in a small white cell with just a bed and no daylight I would probably get very anxious and claustrophobic.

1 Like

Solitary confinement , cabin fever would get me after an hour or so.

1 Like

Solitary confinement simply means people are set apart from others not that theyā€™re in a BARE room without anything !
I donā€™t think anyone could bear to be in an empty room without stimulation for too long .
I donā€™t mind being totally alone for days on end which I know would send some people round the bend Iā€™m told . So long as I have food ,books and an iPad mind , not totally without anything.

4 Likes

I would be OK for quite a while with my own company as long as I could have books etcā€¦I was going to say and Internet but youā€™re not really alone with the Internetā€¦I would be here all the time chatting to you folks

Its ok being alone, being confined is worse :smiley:

Mrs Fox used to sing this to meā€¦

1 Like