How many Commonwealth nations may look to become republics now?

Will members states of the Commonwealth now be more likely to consider becoming Republic?

Hi

Why should they?

It would be interesting to hear your views on this.

You must have some to have posted.

1 Like

Australia has had a couple ot referendums over the years. Narrow yes to staying. Similiar views arise here in NZ regularly and i think it was Barbados who recently made the step.
Essentially, what with a free trade deals and the likes, there is no longer any finacial gain. In fact, we pays millions for membership but what is really debated as of being valuable here is the ability to adjust some of our judicial system to better align with localised issues etc

Hi

A fascinating response.

New Zealand does not declare how much it contributes in Commonwealth Membership Costs.

The total income of the Commonwealth in terms of membership costs is in the order of £50 million a year, for the entirety, not just New Zealand.

Which is absolute peanuts.

The Commonwealth does not control the legal processes of member nations.

I would be very sad to see New Zealand leave, we have a strong history of shared values, and a great history of rivalry, especially in Rugby.

If it is simply a financial decision by New Zealand, then by all means leave.

It would save the UK and others a fortune if you left 5 Eyes as well.

Technology has moved on, 5 eyes no longer needs you.

Good Luck.

1 Like

There are a few Caribbean countries who would need to change their constitution to accept a new monarch. They may well just decide it is easier just to slip away into being a republic.

Australia had one carefully crafted plebiscite to see if there was enough interest in becoming a republic. It was designed by a committed monarchist PM and the options didn’t please any republicans so it failed as it was designed to do.

There is no rush to become a republic, our monarch is kept in the style to which he or she has grown accustomed by a mob of foreigners. As long as the Monarch stays at home it costs us nothing.

I have already telegraphed the new King Charles of Australia, “No need to visit”

The Commonwealth and the Monarchy as Head of State are two completely separate things. Australia is itself a Commonwealth.

God save the King

2 Likes

New Zealands values and indeed those of Australia are far more closely aligned these days with the Pacific and much of SouthEast Asia.
Rivalries in sport or other cultural relams need not and most likely would not be effected.

1 Like

Hi

I would personally very much miss our annual thrashing by the All Blacks at Rugby.

If New Zealand should leave, can we please bid for your Prime Minister?

She is light years better than anyone we have.

2 Likes

Wash your mouth out! You’re not even in the running, as with all things Kiwi, Australia has first refusal on Jacinda.

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken she has a degree in communications and is a life long, career politician…therefore very good at appearing good.
A proven crisis leader. Providing good governance…hmmm…

The consensus here these days woukd imply you two are welcome to fight over her.

Now the question is, why don’t men fight over me…

Depends if they have sold their souls and their country to China .

2 Likes

I believe it’s inevitable there will be a drift away from the Commonwealth and all the things monarchy
Example Kate and William Caribbean tour was embarrassing.
Apart from the slavery history , there’s the issue of what does the U.K. monarchy amount to for the average Caribbean ….hmmm nothing .
Errr apart from the show of unnecessary opulence , K&W appear in open top cars with him dressed up to the eyeballs in his uniform and her in couture dresses and amazing hats.

4 Likes

As far as a quick google goes - Australia contributes $6.4million to the Commonwealth as part of its Foreign Aid budget in the form of grants.

https://www.dfat.gov.au/aid/who-we-work-with/multilateral-organisations/commonwealth-development-programs

As @swimfeeders says, it is peanuts. We spend far more when one of the Royalty visits

1 Like

I think NZ is a couple million less than that per annum. I guess in the grand scheme of things its is chump change.
I suppose for me the whole shit show is just completely irrelevant ‘down under’

And some want their Crown Jewels back ….

1 Like

It is not just a few diamonds. Think of all the stolen goods in the British Museum.

3 Likes

The ultimate in looting and pillaging

2 Likes

Blimey, I seem to have drifted onto the ‘Down Under’ forum by accident.

See the word in the thread title “Commonwealth”. You’re in a thread about “The Commonwealth” and members of “The Commonwealth” are discussing it. It’s not always about you.

So am I right in saying Republics have Presidents?
Perhaps we should become a Republic too…
Do what the French do, have a President for the country and let the Royal family have a nice, little place like Monaco
That seems to work!

1 Like