How I'd love to read a good book

Years ago I was so into reading and thoroughly enjoyed it but haven’t come across a decent book that appeals to me for ages. I have The Kindle Fire and have downloaded books but they have never come up to my expectations.
Years ago I was in to love books but now I like autobiography or a good love book with an interesting story.
One of my older Granddaughters is so in to books they are almost part of her life and I so envy her.

1 Like

Maursey - I too prefer real life stories
At the moment I am reading the following, but only just started, the reviews were great and its a subject I find engrossing, although I know it will get me fired up ! :-p
Heres the link - in case it appeals to you …

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KJ26936?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o03_

ive not read any good love stories since i finished Catherine Cookson series ,
I did read a few by a Scottish author that was brought up in the Gorbals Area of Glasgow ,she suffered from high level of Calcium , and it made her wheel chair bound , She wrote so well you could picture her story in your mind .

I like reading biographies. At the moment I’m reading a biography of Richard Rogers, the composer.

this was the writer ,and i read most of the books on the list,which were good , I made a mistake in where she was from ,it was Govan Glasgow.

That’s such a shame Maursey, I couldn’t exist without books and I always manage to find something to read but I do have a wide area of interest so maybe that helps…
Don’t give up…

The best autobiography that I have read was ‘Bermondsey Boy’ the story of Tommy Steele. It was a fascinating story - you just couldn’t have made it up. I’ve read some pretty poor autobiographies - I thought Cliff Richard’s was pretty dire, and Van Morrison’s biography, while interesting , went into excrutiating detail in places.

I’m currently reading ‘Arctic Chill’ by the Icelandic writer Arnaldur Indridisson.

I am finding your postings more interesting than the stories I read.:wink: Thank you all and will have a look at some of the books that have been mentioned.

I read a fair number of biographies, Maursey. If you give me an idea of what sort of biography you like (writers, scientists, musicians, adventure, current affairs types, actors etc) I’ll see if I can suggest some if you like.

Thank you so much Orangutan.I like anyone famous in the acting business or royalty. I also enjoy any true story that is interesting. I don’t like sad books. I’m not a sad person.

Oh I quite agree with your comments about being a book worm years ago but finding it hard to find something these days… I belong to a book club and we meet every five to six weeks … Find myself resenting most of the titles as they seem to come under the heading of “misery lit” and don’t feel able to start a book til I’ve read the book club one! But I keep procrastinating!!!

Sidney Poitier “The Measure of a Man”, Julie Walters “That’s Another Story”? Peter Godwin “When the Crocodile Eats the Sun”?

I have my fave authors and get a tad twitchy until i get my grubby paws on their latest offering, love looking round bookshops and charity shops for lost gems.

Thank you so much Orangutan. The Julie Walters seems to attract me so may buy that one. I like her.

Thanks for the suggestion of Bermondsey Boy George - I’ve just looked it up and will be ordering that one …:slight_smile:

Hope you enjoy it. When I read it I thought it was written very much in her own recognisable style, so I could almost hear her telling the story.

Have also just ordered The Tommy Steele Story on my Kindle Fire. Thanks Orangutan. Being a Londoner and was also in the blitz I will be able to relate to what he wrote about.

I’m into reading as I am finding TV often boring these days - or insulting.

I can’t offer any suggestions because what I like you probably will not like at all and I buy books.

May I suggest that perhaps you go to a Charity Shop, pick up something you’d never normally read and give that a go?

I’ll read all sorts from fiction to history books, scientific books to stuff like the excellent Douglas Adams but not autobiographies or “love books” stevmk2

What part of London were you Maursey ?

If you like a trilogy and reading about the hardships of the miners then I would recommend these by Janet Macleod Trotter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=the+hungry+hills+Kindle&rh=n%3A266239%2Ck%3Athe+hungry+hills+Kindle