How have the police helped you?

Many people have become very cynical about the police. It’s all over the news about how some police officers have done the wrong thing to someone.

I’m sure there are good stories, but they’re less talked about.

I had a police officer knock on my door to ask if I had reported something. He was very nice. When I said I hadn’t reported anything, he said it was from a cell phone so maybe it was the wrong address.

What’s a time the police have helped you?

1 Like

Back in the olden days two of us were on Paddington Station going home from a football match.We got surrounded by a gang of the opposition supporters.It was getting ugly but a big copper came out of the office and walked down the platform slowly towards us.When he arrived he stared at everyone and said “Any trouble,lads?” The others slunk off and we made a dash for the train. :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve never had bad experiences with the police so far. They helped me when my home got broken into and when I was bumped into four times by other cars.

1 Like

I trust the police one at a time! They hang around in twos!

They pulled up alongside me, once and got out. Two of them…were asking me questions.

One asked, “Where have you been tonight?”

I said, “Home”.

The other asked, “Well, where are you going?”, and I said, “My home address.”

The first one said, “That makes no sense - why would you be coming from the same place you’re going to?” (I could tell he was studying for the CID!)

I simply said…

"I think they still call it going for a walk!"

1 Like

I went to a Theatre Show one evening with a Forum friend , She was picked up by her Hubby , I went to catch my Bus home ,only to have missed it, with an hour to wait for the next I decided to ring my Hubby and ask him to come get me .

While waiting I decided to go to the inner ring road to meet him there which was at the end of my Bus stop
It was Freshers night and they were rampaging through town acting silly , Shouting jumping on Bus shelters,
When one ran up to me got me in a Bear Hug and told me I was a bit of alright , after he put me down he ran off .

I was getting over the shock of the embrace when a couple of foot Police men asked if I was alright , well I explained what had happened , they asked if i wanted them to stay with me till Hubby got here , Yes I said ,

And there I stood with a Police man on either side of me , offering me their MnMs,making small talk . Time seemed to dragged by , it must have been a good 20 min before Hubby turned up.

1 Like

Most recently they have put into motion patrols past my local JSCN meeting house and also are trying to trace those who threatened a 92yo Nazi tattooed holocaust surviver and smashed one of his ceramic emblem tiles from door.

1 Like

I don’t trust the police force to help me and I can’t think of any time they’ve helped me directly. I’ve had some unpleasant encounters

I suppose the best I can say is that their existence helps me by keeping down and investigating crime in general. We need a police force in our society, it would be anarchy without one

The only think I can think of was when I was on a coach trip with my son’s class. The coach broke down on a very dangerous place on the motorway and we were stranded with a coach load of scared children, the lorries making the coach shudder as they went by so close

The police parked they’re car in the middle lane behind the coach, with lights blaring, so it warned oncoming traffic we were there and deflected them further away from us as they went past

As anything that was going to hit would have hit the police car first, I thought it was quite brave

2 Likes

The police caught the awful man who mugged and robbed my late husband - my husband was in his late eighties at the time. They used CCTV to track down the mugger and arrest him. He had a string of convictions and was sent to prison after the trial. I shall always be grateful to the young police officer who supported my husband through it all.

2 Likes

I had an email from the local boys and girls in blue about shed break ins so I decided to update my security in order to keep the scrotes away, so, thinking outside the box I painted JOB CENTRE on it.
I was deeply worried about my collection of historic manuscripts in the shed , these need to be conserved for future generations, especially Readers Wives January 1997 with the priceless double page spread of Tracy from Milton Keynes.
But joking aside, I can’t remember seeing an ordinary policeman on the beat, seen some tooled up officers at the New Street Station though. The last of our local police stations has just closed, apparently if we are victims of crime we have to report it online if not an emergency…

1 Like

I think bad publicity gets the headlines,good publicity pretty much goes un-noticed in all areas of life.

2 Likes

Hi

If you have things stolen all you get here is a Crime Number to make an insurance claim.

They advise you not to tackle yobs on your property, they never arrive to deal with them, tell you to stay inside.

Until I retired I worked very closely with the Police, how times have changed.

They are very hot on so called hate posts on Facebook however.