How fast is your broadband?

You could tell her you want to check that things are as fast as possible for her :mrgreen:

She might buy it :lol:

Tho tbh, I think speeds reported are generally slower on iOS devices, at least they are on my iPhone…

Pretty poor, huh? But then I do only pay £12.26 a month for mine, with Orange. If I knew whether or not I was staying in this flat (not likely) I would have had Infinity installed, or another faster service. But definitely if and when I move I will go for that option, rather that just the cheapest. So fed up of waiting for downloads.
Azz, this is obviously not working. How do I post the actual graphic? Thanks.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3582535113.png

Hurrah. Should have read your instructions first!

That is quite slow Jazzi - I am not surprised you want something faster :lol:

I am surprised you are not getting faster speeds for £12 a month tbh - might be worth calling Orange and asking them why they are so slow?

Blimey it would be quicker to send a letter :wink:

It’s a nightmare when trying to install security suite software by download. I often lose the will to live.

Just as an aside - in my post of the WiFi speeds on my system [post=482329](Click Here)[/post] I had speeds for both up and downloads of about 35Mbps

As a matter of interest I remembered I had a range extender in a box somewhere and they are supposed to half the speed of connection (because they have to receive and transmit the signal on the same frequency). So I set up this 54Mbps range extender and connected to that - the speeds slowed to less than 18Mbps. So if you are using a range extender and don’t need it - ditch it - you will be much better off using an old wired WiFi router as a range extender.

Very quickly, I’ve disconnected the router from the extension lead and attached it to main socket, and downloaded speed checked on my iPad. Startling change in speeds.

Ping. 297 ms
DL. 0.25
UL. 0.20

Look at the difference in upload! My main problem is the BT socket is on the opposite side of the room to my Sky box, which needs a phone line and ethernet cable attachment.

In the middle is my modem, which is the original sent to me by Orange. I now realise that my router is a modem router, so later on will experiment by attaching all necessary cables to the router and bypassing the small modem. I will need to get longer cables though for the sky box.

Life would be simpler if I had a BT socket right by the TV ariel socket. My cable tv socket is there but I cancelled their phone line years ago. I have an extremely long cable from there through to the bedroom.

I can’t take out any new contracts with phone/internet providers if I’m not sure of moving out, or when.

Is it worth (a) buying a new expensive modem router, and/or contacting Orange to ask if they can increase my speed, even ifit means upping the price? Or do you think because I have a modem router attached to a modem it might be slowing things down?

(I’ll deal with that later…)

It you contact sky you can get a wireless adapter for you sky box negating the need of cables…they did have a offer when they were free… They are usually about £20 :wink:

Are you paying for broadband Jazzi?

I would ring Orange and tell them you are not happy with the speed and then let us know what they say.

Usually your ISP will give you a broadband router which includes the modem - and then you usually connect to that via ethernet cable, or wirelessly.

Both my dad and son have sky bb and both have major issues with speed… Basically it is rubbish…I have Virgin and no problems.

I have cancelled our SKY BB and we should be getting plus net BB (a BT company) this Friday. I will let you all know how it compares :smiley:

Well I popped in to Maplins today and spent ages browsing the cables, etc. i remembered when I got home that the mini filter didn’t work (just as well I bought a new one then). I also bought a longer ethernet cable for the Sky box but as I haven’t opened it might take it back for a refund. I managed ok. Used a BT extension lead for the Sky box telephone lead, and moved the router so it’s in a higher position, removed the modem/extension from the connections, and now managed to connect desktop wirelessly.

Just on desktop now trying to get EE website up.

http://www.speedcheckerapi.com/Images/163150684.jpg

Just had another go on the desktop, wirelessly, and having done all the re-arranging.

The figures actually given were 0.593 DL, 0.978 UL, 135 ping.

Its not the company it’s the technology they are using …BT Sky Talk Talk plus net , unless they are using optic fibre cable and BT are only just installing it you will not get a good speed …all telephone lines are copper , the copper cables were installed years ago for telephones and are not very good at carrying massive amounts of data …Virgin media cables were installed and designed to carry data I get between 40-50 mbs regularly…

I`m with TalkTalk, supposed to be unlimited with I think 40mbs not to sure. Hard wired.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3598213810.png

Not happy as I lose my internet connection on a regular basis.

Did promise myself to go with another provider when my contracts up.

Roy

Been with TalkTalk for 3 years, and as I’m a long way from the exchange, best speed I’ve ever had was 3 Meg. Usually around 2.1 to 2.3 these days, as the traffic has increased due to on-line TV. I could go on fibre for another £10 a month, but my speeds seem adequate most of the time, with no disconnects, so for the price I’m reasonably happy with TalkTalk - four stars out of five. I don’t use their router - it’s rubbish like most of the ‘free’ ones supplied by ISPs. I use Netgear which is much faster. Friend of mine is on Virgin cable - it’s even slower than mine, and twice the price! I won’t be changing to them in a hurry.

Here’s one of my first speed test’s since getting Fibre Plusnet - they say it will take ten days to normalise speeds so hopefully it will get to their promised 79Mbps soon…

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3614313853.png

Connected via Wifi.

Check out my Plusnet Fibre Review for more.

The weather has been nice recently and the pigeon brought 2 bytes today.
I was talking to a neighbour who told me that somebody in the next village claimed to get almost one 1Mb on a good day. My how we laughed - 1 Mb…
we wondered what he had been drinking.