How far do you trust your doctor?

OK, here in the UK the question should be ‘How far do you trust the nhs?’

So the nhs recommend we take C19 vaccine, so I take it. That’s controversial. And we are awash with big pharma conspiracies.

Our GPs dish out meds like there’s no tomorrow, all totally free of charge (for most of us). Do you take them? The nhs software tells your prescribing doctor what drugs are compatible. Who writes the software? There’s conflicting theories on Twitter everyday. Not reassuring.

I, for one, go along with nhs advice.

1 Like

I go along with the nhs too, so far it’s not killed me and I’ve always been made better.

I trusted my doctor one hundred percent, he was amazing and now he’s gone and retired, I’m gutted. I don’t want to see any other doctor at the surgery but guess in time I’ll have no choice.

One thing for sure Doody, I am bloody glad I had the vaccines, I’ve just getting over covid and I’ve been quite poorly so I dread to think how bad I’d have been had I not.

You aren’t letting your conspiracy theorist son into your head are you? I could slap mine, he won’t get the damn jab because of all this crap floating around with them.

They think us oldies are stupid, naive, ill-informed sheep. They might be right.

I adore my doctor, even though she works part time and has lots of holidays :roll_eyes: Nothing is too much bother and I feel like she really listens and cares. The NHS saved my life, and although my consultant is retired now, she too was very old school, belts and braces type. She phoned me on my birthday to give me the all clear, I was on cloud nine for a whole week!

I feel the nhs has saved my life too … more than once.

2 Likes

but why? why does there have to be conspiracies. What have they to gain? Yeah big pharma of course big money but these meds make most of us well and keep us alive, so what if they do get rich, doesn’t worry me as long as those meds make ill people well or at least to some degree.

a very dear friend of mine would be dead now most definitely if it wasn’t for meds, she is a very poorly woman with Addisons Disease and other multiple auto immune diseases

Do we have a choice? I mean, if you are concerned about your GP where do you go? Another GP who will receive your notes from your previous GP and possibly any comments…
Getting to see a GP seems to be the prob for me.

It doesn’t make sense, does it! But you’re only young once. … ? :anguished:

GPs, all the same software, same old story.

I reckon we could all be GPs these days, they look on google. I google stuff all the time and I usually come up with what’s wrong! Mind you, half the time you could scare yourself to death with what we read.

Software and Google and we can be Dr Queen & Dr Doodital hehe

No one knows, it would be ironic if the unknown effects of the vaccine took you out, on the day you were destined to die anyway. :grinning: :biking_man:

I totally trust the NHS, I’m on statins, blood thinners, this was after having 2 TIA’s, look at the stat’s, 80% chance of a major stroke after these, as far as I’m concerned it prevented and prevents it.

I’m happy with my GPs, though I might be ‘seen’ by any one of several.
I say ‘seen’ but, of course, it’s all telephone appointments these days.
I think I’d trust what they say, though both Marge and I have a little insight into the matter anyway.
Then there are the receptionists…

They go to college to learn that attitude y’know.

Yes, they have much in common with civil servants.

I trust the NHS to a limited extent only. I have high cholesterol so I take statins and have regular blood tests. I now keep records of all the results and anything out of the ordinary I find out what it is, why it’s not right and try to research it myself. The NHS is responsible for a load of rubbish diagnoses for my son when he was small, and I’ve seen a side to the institution I dislike immensely. E.G. When they buy in a new treatment for a condition, they push it onto patients whether it’s suitable or not - just like regular salesmen!! You’d think they were on commission…and perhaps they are! My advice is to agree with everything they say, then do your own research and find out what other countries do in the same circumstances.

You don’t know the half of it. :owl: :biking_man:

Half the time I do that I get it wrong. Using an algorithm to diagnose can lead to silo thinking. I find it useful for ideas and some advice, but the advice is often inconsistent. Wiki can be quite useful because there is some challenge to the information posted, but underlying everything on the internet you have self interest and politics. That can lead to a great deal of Alice in Wonderland intellectual journeys. Of course you get the same in real life, but there is more peer review in real life.

At the end of the day humans make mistakes and jump to conclusions. That’s true in every field of human knowledge. So when it comes to my health I never blindly trust any medic or myself. I try things out and if they work great, but if I get side effects that outweigh benefits then I won’t continue.

I believe we are more than a bit overmedicated in the UK, but then when you do need something stronger there’s a lot of caution by the medical profession. In other countries you can buy the strong stuff over the counter.

What I have found interesting is the different approaches to medicine by different countries. In the UK there is has been very low emphasis on health spas, self care, vitamins, outdoor pursuits, complimentary therapies, the link between mind and body, a wholist approach to health, even herbal teas and medicinal diets. In the old days of Victorian times people would go to the seaside for their health or go to Switzerland and visit a sanitorium for their health. Some countries have retained that culture, but in the UK we rely on GPs to give us medication but carry on our lives as usual thinking these are magic bullets.

What the pandemic has made blindingly clear is that retiring and sitting at home is very bad for your health. Staying active is good for your health. Diet, nutrition, exercise, social interaction, mental stimulation, vitamins, activity, fresh air - our predecessors knew the benefits.

I don’t know for certain that they are but nothing’s for nothing. A ‘backhander’ is a backhander, It’s also strange that when something like high cholesterol becomes something many seem to suffer with statins are pushed onto us. Despite feeling very unwell after taking mine and in fact having to stop taking them, the GP still said the side effects are worth it. She was not the one who felt like death, that was me! Changing my lifestyle and exercising more got the cholesterol levels to where they should be so why was I not advised first on this? Could that be down to those £ £ £ £ £ backhanders? :thinking:

1 Like

Agreed, LQ, I had a spot on my body….checked out Google turns out I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever….I survived :joy: