How Efficient is your Personal Emergency Calling List?

Sounds a little negative, for a topic like this to be opened.

But, we’re the Over 50s!

We are at risk from medical emergencies, the ones that happen, out for a “walk-the-dog”, a game of golf, a stroll on the beach, or, maybe, when we are “Home Alone”.

So, here’s my question (questions):-

Do you carry anything which can easily be used to help, whoever finds you, identify who you are?

Is there a note, in your pocket, saying what major medical condition you might have?

Do you rely on your mobile phone to save you? If so, do you ever get “out of range” (that you know of)?

If alone at home, and you fell down stairs, do you have anything in place to get you found in time?

That club you go to, do they have recent contact information, and do those contacts still work?

Does a family member check on you at all?

Boring questions, but recent events, have caused some friends to have a closer look!

1 Like

I never leave home without my wallet and that contains all relevant contacts and a folded brief medical history complete with blood group and allergies listed. My hospital patient number combined with NHS number should provide all that’s needed. My NHS No should provided my up to date info for anyone with access to the NHS spine… i.e. ambo crews and docs :+1:

1 Like

Well done, LD!

The first priority, to the one who finds you, would be to call 999, I guess!

That’s when you need to be in range with your, or their, mobile.

After that, the finder might try to do resuss, and, after that , look for your wallet.

The “fall down stairs”, “collapse at home”, when alone, is likely to be a hard scenario.

Well worth some thought.

My point is that time might be very limited…!

This is my emergency call list only it’s 911. :rofl:

Sorry, Danny, I was thinking locally again!

Will mend my ways!

:jack_o_lantern:

No what I meant was I have no one else to contact, unless I call my ex wife. 911 really is the only number I call in an emergency. :grinning:

@Tedc Oh slaps head! You were referring to the US using 911 instead of 999. The logic behind that is that when phones were rotary dial it was quicker and more logical to make the number easy to dial. 999 meant rotating the dial completely 3x. :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: Although even on a rotary dial phone I doubt the .05sec it saved you made a difference.

1 Like

I think this is such a good idea, and one that I didn’t think of. It would be a good idea to have this information printed on a credit card size piece of card, then laminated so it doesn’t get torn or wet.

Well, I should I suppose. But I don’t. And I rarely use my phone. I have an excuse - the dog has his ID tag and that has our name and my wife’s phone number.

Speed has nothing to do with it Danny. It was so that in dark situations or for the vison impaired, two fingers in the dial immediately located the 9 without too much fumbling. The zero had already been allocated to summon the operator before being changed to 100. Before dialling came in, just lifting the handset or removing the earpiece from the cradle automatically connected your line to the exchange.

We have to carry I.D Cards here, always have our Medical Cards nearby which contains all our info via a computer of our personnel medical history and information. Without the MC we would have to pay for any treatment so no fear of not having that… …
Would still mean going to my Handbag or in Husband case he has a small holder in our Car.
He does not own a wallet…

1 Like

Dianne, would he use a wallet if you got him one? Some men will, some won’t…

1 Like

That is a good question Trixie… but no he loses them
…or has said before… ‘I know I left in on the shelf…so it’s not lost’
once when we lived in Pebbles with the side Front Door, that was a good distance from the road, but we had on a few hot day so left that door ajar…So I think it was lifted…That one was on the bedside cabinet so can’t have got lost…it was off a hall and nearby to that door… :open_mouth:

1 Like

Awww, well maybe he needs one on a keyring then…on a long stretchy cord that goes into his back pocket from his wrist :joy:

Seriously though, maybe he is better off not using them if they get lost. If the card holder works for him, then that’s fine. He can’t lose a car…

Lately he needs a lead with a collar to be very honest…better with a micro chip maybe though…collar and leads can break…
Good thread as it gets you thinking more about important things…must put the breakdown cover Phone Number in the mobile phone…
Our Vehicle Insurance has to be on display on the windscreen and that has our names on it, just to add that…

2 Likes

@LongDriver In November 1967, the FCC met with the American Telephone and Telegraph Company (AT&T) to find a means of establishing a universal emergency number that could be implemented quickly. In 1968, AT&T announced that it would establish the digits 9-1-1 (nine-one-one) as the emergency code throughout the United States.

• The code 9-1-1 was chosen because it best fit the needs of all parties involved. First, and most important, it met public requirements because it is brief, easily remembered, and can be dialed quickly. Second, because it is a unique number, never having been authorized as an office code, area code, or service code, it best met the long range numbering plans and switching configurations of the telephone industry.

https://www.nena.org/page/911overviewfacts

AT&T chose the number 9-1-1, which was simple, easy to remember, dialed easily (which, with the rotary dial phones in place at the time, 999 would not), and because of the middle 1, which indicating a special number (see also 4-1-1 and 6-1-1), worked well with the phone systems at the time.

1 Like

I carry a list of emergency contacts in my wallet, phone case and there is one on my fridge. The fridge is the one place emergency workers look at first, so I read somewhere.

My wallet also contains my driving licence which is our de facto ID. (it is compulsory to carry your licence while driving anyway)

That should be enough

A phone should contain an entry in the contacts called “ICE” In Case of Emergency" and be the number of your spouse etc.
I’m in the process of making a sort of ‘Dog Tag’ out of stainless steel to hand around my neck with name and address engraved on it. I’ll post a picture when it’s it’s done…
:sunglasses:

That’s a good idea, Foxy - and so simple too. :+1:

I hope you’ll get a matching collar to go with it.