How Do You Like Your Sandwiches Cut? Square Or Triangle?

That’s your opinion and it is wrong

[/B]

Please read the entire recipe to see what it says about baps and sandwiches.https://www.seriouseats.com/traditional-british-baps-recipe

Yes I read it. All of it. It’s an American site. In the UK we don’t call a filled bap a sandwich. We call it a filled bap :slight_smile:

What about barms and batches … :smiley:

Haha, yes there are so many varieties of rolls. And if they’re split, buttered and filled with your favourite filling, they’re all filled rolls, not sandwiches :lol:

[I]The sandwich is named after John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, an eighteenth-century English aristocrat. It is said that he ordered his valet to bring him meat tucked between two pieces of bread.

In the UK and Australia, the term sandwich is more narrowly defined than in the US: it refers usually to an item which uses sliced bread from a loaf. An item with similar fillings, but using an entire bread roll cut horizontally in half, is generally referred to as a roll [/I]

(Wikipedia)

My lot, as younguns…Bread buttered them jammed up…coated in batter and fried…was all the rage for a while…yuk.

We have most days a french baguette…we ring the changes with wholemeal of ses am…(sesame)…
half each, sliced lengths ways…some times i will cut the ends off, if they are the strange pointed loafs…

that’s better :wink:

I like my sandwiches cut in half with the crusts left on but I’ll take them as they come if buying them when out and about.

I would never buy a sandwich when out and about now :frowning: I don’t eat anything when I’m outside, not even having coffee - I’ll take my own.

Sadly since my operation I have to have the crusts removed.
It’s a bu@@er when you used to think that the crust, especially on fresh bread, was the best bit.

A lady l used to know, would make me the most delicious bread roll. She’d slice the roll, so that there were two layers of filling. Sometimes, ham and salad on the bottom and then repeated on the next layer. It was delicious.

She would serve it on a small rectangular tray with side bits, crisps, finely cut celery and other bits.

Some people can make the most delicious sandwiches, or rolls.

A cafe I used to go in did similar, the salad on the plate, had grapes, or strawberries in it in season, with crisps & grated beetroot. You could chose the filling for the baguette. They were delicious.

That sounds really delicious.

I agree with whatever bakerman says because he’s a real Chef :slight_smile:

I hope you’re feeling better Bakerman :hug:

Thank you, Minx. Two pieces of bread, whatever the type, and filled with any ingredient is, and always will be, a sandwich. I have only been to 13 countries, but when I asked for a sandwich, every restaurant knew exactly what I was asking for.

Yes, I feel better

That’s wonderful news Bakerman ! :hug:

:023:

Ah! but ask yourself two questions

1. Was the Earl of Sandwich from the USA?

2. Would you accept culinary definitions from someone who calls a biscuit a “cookie”?

Finally it is wise to consider, “What would Mrs Beeton do?”

Mrs Beeton’s Toast Sandwich

Toast a thin slice of bread.

Butter two slices of bread and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

Place the slice of toast between the 2 slices of bread-and-butter to form a sandwich.

My work here is done…

Yes, legend has it that the Earl of Sandwich came up with the idea of putting meat between two pieces of bread. maybe true. No way to know for sure. But, kind of hard to believe that no one in the entire history of bread making never, ever made/eaten meat on bread. In any event, 260 plus years have passed, and people, the world over, greatly expanded on the idea.
Finally, their are numerous countries that rarely make sliced bread. They make large and small rolls. It is then a simple matter of slicing those rolls and filling them with various ingredients.
Back in the days before slicing machines were invented, men needed portable food to take to work at a factory. Men in New Orleans , on their way to work, stopped off at the local bakery and asked them to make sandwiches. The idea of Po’ Boys was born. A Po’ Boy is a sandwich, made with a sliced roll and filled with meat and salad. Their are dozens of different fillings for Po’ Boys. Hot ones are usually meant to be eaten immediately, while cold one are often carried to work.

Bruce, if you can show me that the Earl of Sandwich claimed that a sandwich is ONLY made with sliced bread and NEVER, EVER made with a roll, then you contention might have some merit. In the meantime, the vast majority of the world will continue to call any two pieces of bread and filled, and picked up with the hands and eaten, is indeed a sandwich.

I like mine cut into triangles…hard boiled egg sandwiches…or tomato with crusty bread rolls

Normally cut them square although have been known to do diagonal.