How do you keep clothes fresh?

I seem to have favourites that I wear week in week out, so that means a lot of clothes just end up not getting worn - and I’ve found that they start to smell dusty after a while!!

A trick my mum taught me was to put bars of soap in things like my chest of drawers and that does work fairly well but wondered if you have any other ideas?

Another thing I do is put clothes I know I am not going to wear for a while in plastic recycling sacks and then tie them so no air/dust can get in - but is this a good idea? Any better ideas? How do you keep yours fresh?

Moth balls. I love the smell of moth balls, nobody else does and they complain like buggery but I do.

Kills babies apparently so it’s not all bad :wink:

1 Like

Maybe vacuum storage bags if the clothes won’t be used for a season or two. Saves space. I haven’t tried it but food storage bags are the same idea.

1 Like

If any clothes aren’t used for over a year then you don’t need them.

3 Likes

I use this, i also wear, wait for it, “ perfume”…you can also, buy scented, sachets to go in your drawers plus draw liners…

2 Likes

Confers keep moths away and don’t smell like moth balls

1 Like

I sometimes give shirts a light spray with this stuff when ironing. It’s a Turkish lemon cologne, lovely and zingy!

I always carry small bottle around with me, it’s great for freshening up and can be used liberally without being overwhelming, makes a decent hand sanitiser too. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:

2 Likes

Lavender too.

Mrs d00d dries it in the sun, fills little cotton sacks and sews them up.

2 Likes

You’ve just reminded me, I also use Sainsbury’s ironing water,Passion flower is one of them, lots of different scented ones…I’ve run out at the moment.:+1:

As Azz hates anything perfume…I suggest he hangs his clothes in the fresh air…:+1:

2 Likes

Actually you’ve just reminded me of something Pauline.
It’s possible to make ironing spray simply by diluting the fabric softener of your choice with water.
I tried it some years ago although I can’t remember how it worked out .

2 Likes

Yes, also using a couple of tablespoons of vodka a few drops of essential oils, then fill the rest of the spray bottle up with distilled water.

2 Likes

I’m with Mrs Dood .
This summer I planted lavender in my new garden ,
next year I shall fill circles of fine fabric cut with pinking shears with lavender seeds and tie with ribbons.
I also let lavender water evaporate in shallow bowls it smells delicious.

2 Likes

Hi

I use lavender in cooking.

Clothing which smells of lavender reminds me of my grandmother

3 Likes

De-clutter and give stuff you haven’t worn for 12 months to the charity shop! And stop buying clothes :rofl:

And “Air” your wardrobe by emptying it and rearranging

Another one for lavender bags here, and sprigs of bay and rosemary and I find the Febreze spray is good

But I think charcoal/carbon does the trick

“Activated” carbon/ charcoal is best ( you can buy it for fish tank filters) but some smashed up lump charcoal (not briquettes) tied in an old sock works!

1 Like

I use that as well Pauline & I have lots of lavender sachets & bags in draws & wardrobe, those also keep moths away, hopefully anyway.

2 Likes