How do you cook a whole chicken?

I roast it covered in foil and then cut it up and cook in the pan gravy + water like a casserole.

1 Like

You are very lucky to still have a local butcher. The last one in our town closed 3yrs ago and now it’s a charity shop.

1 Like

My recommendation:

Remove the breasts, with or without skin attached, use them for something else as they cook in less than half the time the rest of the bird takes.

Remove breast bone, discard.

Turn bird over and press down on backbone to flatten.

Season, roast on both sides.

Variation:

With skinside down, place onion, garlic, peppers (quartered), lemon, whatever in the cavity.

1 Like

I know - and they are brilliant. Family firm, and all their produce - meat, poultry, and eggs - comes from local farms. They also have a bakery near by and make their own pies, sausage rolls, quiches etc., which are delicious. They are well supported so, hopefully, they will be around for long while.

For the family I buy a chicken in a bag and follow instructions.
It works well . Succulent chicken and a clean oven , it’s a winner winner chicken dinner.

1 Like

That looks delicious,Minx, I’m on my way over, “ I Wish”,:grin:

3 Likes

Hi

In a roasting bag.

Fresh herbs with olive oil under the skin.

2 Likes

So very easy to do, I hand it over to Sue and somehow it gets cooked automaticaly

3 Likes

How do I cook a whole chicken?

With difficulty – my hob and double oven blew up a few weeks ago so other than the microwave,
slow-cooker and George Foreman grill there’s nothing else to cook with.

I must get a new one to sort that out, I am getting very bored having to learn to cook again!
:roll_eyes: :grinning:

2 Likes

The first time I cooked a whole fresh chicken I had been married for a few weeks, washed it, oiled it, put it in the oven, cooked it perfectly. I was dead chuffed, having never done that before. OH started to carve it & came across a plastic bag, I had forgotten to remove the giblets from the inside, those however were cooked beautifully too. :grinning: I never did live that down. :grinning:

2 Likes

I flip it over, remove all the bones except the drumsticks then stuff it, sew it back up, butter it (or bacon it), hot for 20 mins then 180c. Then you can slice it from one end to the other. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

… could have been worse … no plastic bag, green bile squirting everywhere. :laughing:

1 Like

That’s interesting …

Hmmmm maybe for cold slices …

Usually we don’t have a whole chicken only breaded chicken breast for Mondays. But if it’s a turkey I would cover it in foil and roast it, also put a lot of melted margarine on it first.

Just remembered you never told us your secret

Agree. Flipping both turkeys and chickens upside down keeps the meat nice and tender or those roasting bags. Both methods seem to make the most out of the birds with zero waste. No parts of the bird get dried out

I went through a phase of using my slow cooker a lot, so tried cooking a whole chicken in it and also the veg and potatoes. It worked out well, in fact it’s got my mouth-watering talking about it, so I may try it again.
I also used to make bread and soups in my slow cooker. I’m using the slow cooker more now, as I love making veg soup.

For me the best thing to do with a whole chicken is to handle and cook it with care so as not to catch any nasty bacteria,
…fill it with herbs so you can’t smell the nasty thing cooking,
… then remove and portion the meat into little containers to go in the freezer ready and put it in the dog :icon_cool:

2 Likes

Love this, Meg! :joy:

1 Like

I wouldn’t use a roasting bag with all that polyester type of plastic, they say that they’re safe but you don’t know.
I use aluminium foil but never know if that’s safe but it’s the best I think.