How do you cook a whole chicken?

To get it tasting succulent and not dried out?

I have my secret ,but I will share mine , only if you share yours first,:wink:

I wrap mine in aluminium foil and the cook it completely wrapped in the fan oven. I used to cook them on the rotisserie but found the fully wrapped foil method better, especially when covered in brushed butter before wrapping :+1:

2 Likes

Yes thatā€™s what I do tooā€¦havenā€™t done a whole chicken for a while, mind youā€¦and now Iā€™m in the mood for one! :joy: Use the rest for soup.

2 Likes

I am not a fan of food of the feathered variety, but my wife is keen, so I will tolerate the odd chicken if she really fancies one :+1:

1 Like

I havenā€™t cooked a extra large chicken in ages, it was deliciousā€¦I will tell you how I do mine after more replies, thatā€™s if I get anymore,:joy::+1:

That sounds very similar to what I do.
Instead of brushing with butter I put a knob of butter under the skin above the breast though.
:+1:

Has anybody here tried the whole birds that are grown more slowly?
Not from supermarkets (well other thanM&S) & not necessarily from here, but like these?
Because IMHO they taste so much better than even the free range chicken Iā€™ve had and a few places now sell these slow-reared chickens.

1 Like

I worked for a German couple and they boiled thereā€™s with all sorts in the water then made soup with said water

3 Likes

I havenā€™t tried those, so I maybe paying M&S a visit in Newbury.

1 Like

Yes, I boiled or simmered what was left of the carcass and quite a bit of meat left on added a onion and some carrots, then use the liquid once strained for chicken stockā€¦

I do mine a bit differently to everyone else, typical!

First I slather it in butter, pushing some under the skin. Then I put a whole peeled onion in the cavity. Then I truss it, the old fashioned way, with string, so itā€™s nice and compact and the thigh protects the breast meat

Then I put it in a very hot preheated oven for 15 minutes to the skin starts to brown, the equivalent of searing meat. I then cover it in foil and turn the oven down very low and let it cook gently for a long time. 30 minutes before end of cooking time I take off the foil and turn up the heat to crisp the skin

Although, having said that I found the most tender way to cook chicken was in the halogen oven. They do come out lovely but Iā€™ve never been able to convince myself itā€™s safe and cooked and I donā€™t fancy it

2 Likes

Oh I know just what you mean because you have to be so careful that any meat is cooked properly.
:+1:
Iā€™ve seen other people say they put an onion in the cavity too but Iā€™ve never tried that because Iā€™m worried that my chicken would taste of onion.

1 Like

in the past ive dome mine by laying it breast down so all the juices run into it .

another good method is in a roasting bag .

2 Likes

I preheat the fan assisted oven to 100 degrees, which cooks it very slowly, i gently lift the top of the skin up, stuff it with stuffing, I then make an incision in the legs and breasts then add garlic cloves, then I cover the chicken all over in streaky bacon, which turns beautiful and crisp through the cooking process.

I never cover my chicken.only in the streaky bacon.

1 Like

The chicken doesnā€™t taste of onion but it does add good flavour to the juices that run out for the gravy

We had one yesterday, a whole one. My dear wife cooked it in the crock pot. Beautifully succulent it was. I donā€™t know what the ingredients but if you want I will ask.

1 Like

Thanks for the offer, but I have my own method of cooking a tasty succulent chicken thanks.

Do them on a spit is a good method, I donā€™t have a spit.

That sounds like my paternal grandmother. She would cook her Jewish Penicillin (chicken soup) like that and it was a cure-all for most ailments :wink::+1::hugs: ā€¦good ole Nan, RIP.

3 Likes

I used to have a cast Dutch oven that cooked them perfectly, but it disappeared in house moves over the years.
:slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Thatā€™s a[quote=ā€œZaphod, post:19, topic:85809, full:trueā€]

I used to have a cast Dutch oven that cooked them perfectly, but it disappeared in house moves over the years.
:slightly_frowning_face:
[/quote]

Thatā€™s a shame, I donā€™t eat them very often, but, Tesco spit roast chickens are delicious,:+1:or maybe that should read rotisserie.