How do we stop stupidity?

Driving on the freeway yesterday at 100 km an hour, there was a lady tailgating me no more than 3 meters? behind me. Not so bad you say, well not good, but what was she doing?
She was"Painting" her face with a brush. 100 km/h (62 miles) 3 meters behind the car in front, “Putting on her face”.
She spent more time looking in the mirror than in front of her. I slowed down to 95, she got closer before backing off.
Freeway was coming to an end and there were traffic lights up ahead,I took my foot off the accelerator and slowed right down, 300 meters from the the lights.
She pulled out into the left lane and we were side by side at the lights. I said to her, " You should be charged for your dangerous driving".
She gave me the finger and said, “Get out of the fucking right lane and let me pass, you moron”
My suggestion to stop this is to have all new cars fitted with 4 recording cameras that can have the vision uploaded to a control centre when an issue such as this arises.All cars to be retrospectively fitted.
What are your thoughts?

Err, Bretrick, that could provide more ingredients for my restaurant that you asked about??

But seriously I recall MANY years ago when in Sth Oz re a female friend of mine on the big Freeway in the Adelaide Hills
She was a big lass who drove a tiny Morris Mini Minor.

She was quite visibly rattled one day & when asked why she explained she’d had a LARGE semi trailer come up close behind her similar to what you describe.
It had frightened her to death so to speak and she had INCREASED her speed in an attempt to make more space between them,

I can’t recall after so many years exactly how the situation was resolved ( think she luckily reached her freeway exit turnoff )

I very much doubt the BIG TRUCKY was powdering his face ( but who knows )

Anyway I advised her NOT to increase her speed if ever confronted with similar - rather to GENTLY ease off and continue that backing off until the truck eventually decided to pass her - and at the least they were both going to be at a FAR LOWER SPEED perchance things did end up in an altercation.

1 Like

@Bretrick you don’t. Seriously, driving in UK is a nightmare. Too much gadgetry in cars today which is a distraction to the driver, no road craft, no reading the road slow to react to unexpected situations.

1 Like

I see it all the time. A week or so ago I attempted to enter a shopping centre car park, only wide enough for one vehicle either way.
As I approached, there was a very large 4x4 coming towards me, on on her side, but right in the middle so I had to stop.
My consternation came as she was looking down at her phone whilst driving forward. If I had not blown my horn she would have ran into me. I never moved, she had to back up and mover to her side of the exit.
I continued staring at her, all I got was a blank look back, she was oblivious to her wrong doing. :roll_eyes:

A frightening experience for sure. When I am in those situations I do as you suggest, slow down and watch the offender pull out and go speeding past me.

We’ve got an old car so it came as a big shock when we had use of a Toyota courtesy car.There was a touch screen display next to the steering wheel nearly as big as our lap top.

You can’t beat stupidity, you just have to work with it :smiley:

1 Like