How did you handle your kids growing up

So, my son’s successfully settled into Uni. He has a set of wheels and just seems to come and go as he pleases. Within reason of course. No late night partying etc. He is a good kid.

But, it’s tough letting my youngest (and my pet) go. We have ground rules but I’m so fearful until I know he’s home. Johannesburg isn’t a safe city to be about.

How did you handle your kids growing up and moving on with life.

Any tips/advice would be most appreciated.

Mine refuse to, make of that what you will. :laughing:

1 Like

I’m starting to understand that a parent can’t ever truly ‘let go’ entirely.

I tried to, the Kids just did not listen.

1 Like

Times have changed. Minx, since my two left home.
My daughter moved from New York (home) to Florida to go live with her dad, and college one week after graduation high school. She ended up partying the year away without getting a single college credit. I paid for that year’s tuition. :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

My son graduated and enlisted In The Air Force for 4 years. When he left, I woke up with tears on my cheeks for a month . So proud of him, but it was a good decision on his part. He grew up.

I always felt my job as a parent was to teach my children to be independent adults. I did my job. And it turned out well.

1 Like

Is he still living at home then?

When mine went away to live at Uni, coming home in the holidays, I thought it was a good transition stage. They never come home completely afterwards

It broke my heart of course but letting them go is as important part of being their mum as that first day at school :cry:

You never stop worrying about them, it’s a scary world out there :fearful:

But in some ways it was a easier when they weren’t living at home because I could never sleep until I heard their key in the door, and heard them trying to creep in quietly!

Yes, he will be at home for the next 5 years (I hope).

1 Like

Tried to give them maximum space to arrive at their own conclusions, the result is still work in progress, that is good.

1 Like

I’m hoping for much the same.

Oh, that’s nice, it will give you both chance to adjust. How old is he?

1 Like

He’s 18 :smiley:

1 Like

Just a babe, really, then xxxx

1 Like

Aye, and pushing the boundaries :hugs:

1 Like

At that age let them change their own nappies

1 Like

Maybe the proof is in the pudding in my case. Mine are now in their forties. The two girls have science degrees and my son is in IT. We are in different parts of the country but we get together a few times a year. That’s family.

1 Like

I encouraged my kids to have a good time as well as a good education…and boy did they both have fun. My son at his wedding in his speech said he had won the lottery having me as his mum and my daughter cheered and agreed…makes me cry telling you that…they are both good kids who have done well in their chosen fields…what matters to me more though is they are happy with lots of pals and a good fulfilled life

2 Likes