House buying checklist House selling checklist

So I am in the process of organising a house move in the next few months and was hoping to get some advice on how you approached this daunting project.

I have made a starter checklist of what to look for in a new property :

local hospital services
internet connection
parking
local transport
national rail connections
crime rate
flood plain
direction facing (sunlight)
planning permission (surrounding properties and land)
energy providers
cancer rates/health
pollution (including agricultural pesticides and local industry, toxins, radiation)
GP / dental provision
hoodie/goth/glue sniffer index
soil type (for land heave etc)
damp checks
overhead electricity cables (preferably not)
local traffic / road accidents
local shops
heat traps or cold spots in prospective property
signs of infestations
availability of trades professionals (if works needed)

Any suggestions welcome :slight_smile:

You mention pollution

Add to that Pollution list air quality.
Before moving to my new address I had a air quality test carried out.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I didn’t realise you could do that.

You might want to avoid Chicken Factories they springing up all over , They are Stinky ugly things .

And villages are not always the quiet place if you have Lorries trundling through to a nearby Industrial estate , or Tip so see how close you will be to these .

1 Like

This may be useful:

noisy Neighbours , Student Areas avoid at all cost .And Trees , neighbours small trees grow into big Trees

1 Like

Don’t you need a subscription?

good points - thanks. In terms of trees I was planning to plant some. I hadn’t realised that might be a problem. Most of the gardens I have seen are like a blank canvas. It is surprising how many people just leave a garden as a lawn and a couple of shrubs.

my neighbour who are renters have done no garden work in the 6 years they been in and that also goes for the previous tenant . so in all 9 years growth on miniture trees are now taller than the bungalow and as tall as a Telegraph Pole , Blocking light , as well as being to close to property .

1 Like

This is a site called Teleport. It has a lot of the factors in your OP ranked with job salary estimates and some expense info in the free site. It’s trying to get you to pay for more details but it’s not necessary to see some of the info.

I typed in Manchester and got this. You can change it to any city that’s listed.

I’d add local restaurants to your list of factors.

1 Like

Although I’m a member, I didn’t have to log in to obtain access to the information.

If you try and find your route blocked then let me know and I’ll get the information for you.

1 Like

You may want to include soil contamination and radio masts and cell towers, and possibly the distance to existing or planned wind turbines.
Do you really think you’ll find a place where all those items have been considered? It sounds to me like an “egg-laying wool-milk-sow”. You’ll have to prioritise and compromise, won’t you?

1 Like

Don’t think well over 50s have to worry about that one :laughing:

Anyway, if you watch these property programmes the most important thing is the house itself (even when moving to the country) it must have open plan kitchen/diner so you can chat to your guests whilst cooking, god knows how many chums these folks have who property hunt on the Tele :icon_wink:

1 Like

I think you have to know what you want in terms of property type and location, find your dream home and work from there.

For me: detatched (would consider semi) in leafy residential street. Victorian features tastefully mixed with some modern, live-in kitchen. Don’t mind students, uni nearby, but none living nearby. General hostital, train station, shops etc. within 2-3 miles. I could go on … South of England city or large town.

@AnnieS you may be thinking of something quite different (?) But think dream home.

1 Like

Do Deliveroo, JustEat, etc etc deliver there?

Buying a house is an emotional thing for me…it has to feel right. I’ve walked into some houses and even though it’s in the right area and fits all the criteria it just feels wrong .

My present house was a total mess when I bought it…it didn’t fit the criteria at all but it just felt right and now its all updated its a beautiful place…we came through it together me and this house I saved it and gave it a new life…sounds daft I know but as I said for me it’s not just the bricks and mortar it’s a feeling of home.

Go with that gut feeling

2 Likes

We bought a beautiful house and converted into a Barn!! :grin:

I agree with Summer house buying is very emotional , it has to have that feel right buy me feeling when you step over the threshold .

However I recommend having a massive declutter before putting your property on the market, unless you’re selling a bit of a wreck…. With hope the prospective buyers can see its potential

1 Like

:smiley: If they do then that property will be off my list

I have been decluttering for years and still there seems to be lots of stuff in cupboards and drawers. I think it breeds if you leave it for too long. I’ve realised it’s important to declutter when you are still in your 50s and have the energy! The attic is now thankfully almost empty.

1 Like