Homemade Sauces from scratch

Please post your homemade sauces here please.

What sauces have you made?

I’m hoping to make a homemade hot chilli sauce today.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s from scratch, because if the tomato ketchup and it’s definitely not healthy but….

I make this sweet and sour sauce if we fancy Chinese fakeaway

• 2 oz Brown Sugar
  • 2 oz Vinegar
  • 6 oz Tomato Sauce
  • 1 small tin pineapple chunks
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce

Just chuck it all in a pan and heat it up!

2 Likes

We have this at least twice a week … cheese, on broccoli and other things:

Teaspoon of oil, butter, plain flour … make a roux, add 1/2 to 1 mug of milk; heat, stir, remove from heat. Boil broccoli in salted water, drain, saving some of the water. Add water to the cold stodgy sauce and reheat, add cheese. Serve.

3 Likes

Let’s not overlook the simple but effective stuff…stir powders (eg curry powder, jerk seasoning, or even just peppercorns etc etc etc) into ready mixed gravy granules, er, gravy.

2 Likes

Onion Gravy

Sweat onion in a little oil/butter till nice & soft

add a heaped teaspoon of plain flour, mix well

add water Oxo (curry powder, jerk seasoning, or even just peppercorns etc etc etc*)

*© @Dextrous63

:crazy_face:

4 Likes

Pepper sauce:

Sweat shallot
add peppercorns and let heat through
add chicken stock
add cream
if needed, add flour or thickener

I tend to cook for around 5 mins to allow the peppercorns to soften down, and add some crushed pepper for good measure.

Great with steak, chips and peas.

NB- I use a mini egg whisk instead of anything else when making sauces. Seems to help thicken things up and dissipate powder lumps

2 Pcs Silicone Whisk Mini Egg Beater Stirrer Blender for Milk Cream Sauce Honey Kitchen Baking Cooking Beating S0G-1 https://amzn.eu/d/29i0TAM

5 Likes

I’ll be honest and say,I use bought ketchup in my sauces, I have found a great recipe for tomato sauce ,it only takes five mins to make, will post the recipe,when I’ve made it…:+1:

I’m wondering what that might be like on a bed of rice, as a light meal. :smiley:

2 Likes

Our local Polish shop sells some delish gherkins in sweet vinegar, I love them with all sorts of things.

Don’t waste the vinegar:

A spoon of that with a spoon of ketchup & 2 spoons of Hellmanns mayo makes a lovely sauce, on the side and/or dressing.

I think it would be nice, it’s OK with most things, but like I said, too much sugar to be healthy!

I adore eggs Benedict (my favourite breakfast) and I use a fool proof microwave Hollandaise sauce. It’s the bomb!

2 Likes

Sounds lovely

1 Like

It’s absolutely spectacular. Welcome to OFC Caveman. Although, I recall another Caveman on here not too long ago…

1 Like

Yesterday my made a some made sauce with barbecue chicken. I don’t know what the sauce but it was delicious. Left overs tonight.

1 Like

Just made peppercorn sauce to go with my steak, mushrooms and chips.

Ingredients.

Brandy.

Juices from meat.

Peppercorns.

Beef stock.

Cream.

1 Like

Brandy, cream, mushrooms … makes a nice steak sauce.

Break up the mushrooms, stalks 'n all, into pieces not too small, throw into a hot pan/wok with a little oil. Keep tossing, keep hot, mushrooms will shrink losing water, add bandy, tilt pan to ignite, water’s gone, keep tossing … add cream, heat, pour over steak.

1 Like

Thanks,I will try that tomorrow, sounds yummy,I have one steak left.

All lovely. Not sure I’d put brandy in though, purely out of personal preference.

1 Like

Dex, if you cook the alcohol out, you can’t even taste it, found the recipe online, I thought exactly the same as you, it was delicious, in fact I wanted to cook the other steak I had left, I still have some sauce left, I’m going to try the one dood recommended tomorrow…I haven’t had steak in years.

I coked the steak in butter, garlic olive oil, I added salt, wish I hadn’t, forgot it was salted butter, it was still delicious and I licked the pan,:open_mouth::sweat_smile:

I know @pauline3, but I’m just not keen on the taste of brandy. Nothing to do with temperance at all😉

Getting the salt balance can be tricky, as you say. Onions are a bit salty, butter is salty, and beef stock is salty.

Does the sauce keep? Thought it might congeal a bit, and would welcome being told that it heats up.again just fine.

1 Like