Home made feathers!

Saw this on Pinterest and had to try them - feathers made from scraps of denim. They’re rather effective, aren’t they?

5 Likes

They look pretty good Sheba, but the only thing I’m not so keen on is I think they should have a rigid ‘spine’ (like a quill) so they can stand up if necessary?
Those look good laying down, but doesn’t that limit their use a little?

1 Like

I don’t know, you would have to ask a bird. :thinking:

They do look good, though. :slightly_smiling_face:

:hugs:

1 Like

Great for card making! Thank you, Bathsheba.

1 Like

very good Sheba, I think they would look good on a canvas bag or Hat .

1 Like

Well, yes, if you want them to be standing then I’d agree, Quite simple, though, to thread a piece of fine wire through the spine to make them rigid if that’s how you want them.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes! That occurred to me too Tabby!

I like the idea of decorative uses like that too Eliza.

I think I’m gonna try using fabric other than denim, see how they turn out :blush:

1 Like

Very creative, Sheba. I really do like them!

1 Like

Oh thank you RightNow :blush:

1 Like

They are lovely, very original, you’ll find lots of uses for them👍

1 Like

I once made a blue shirt fabric wreath. I was just thinking some of those frathers would perk it up a bit

2 Likes

Very pretty, Sheba…They would look lovely on some kind of applique, perhaps?

2 Likes

Now that’s a good idea! I made a halloween wreath like this for my daughter last year. Haven’t got a picture of it though.

That occurred to me too, but not practical on clothing because apparently they don’t machine wash well, they just curl up and get tatty. OK if they can be removed for washing I guess, and then they’re washed gently by hand before re-attaching. Bit of a faff though :frowning_face:

Those feathers look great!
How very inventive.

They would look great as a trim on a Summer hat!

I’m not sure how you affix the material strands to the twine but, if you wanted a “stiffer” spine, maybe they could be attached to long pipe cleaners?

1 Like

That’s not a bad idea actually! The twine is sewn on with a zig zag stitch - bit tricky this part because you have to make sure it’s accurately sewn in line with the warp or weft of the fabric. If you don’t, then when you come to pull the threads out, it will be crooked. I don’t see why a pipe cleaner couldn’t be sewn on in the same manner, but I think it would work better with larger ‘feathers’, or the spine would be disproportionately thick and clumsy looking.

2 Likes