Home and away

Photos taken over three days.

Our apple-tree in evening sun.

Captured on dashcam, a bomb in Westonzoyland, close to the old wartime aerodrome.

Rush hour on the Somerset Levels.

The Welly-boot monument on the Blackdown Hills way off in the distance.

A Hawk near Glastonbury

There’s a whole lot of kissin’ going on. Mistletoe slowly strangling a row of trees.

The leaning tower of … Puxton Church.

Our little camper van and the disembodied hand of my Auntie/MiL at Burrington Ham where we stopped for a 99 (soft ice cream in a cone, with a chocolate flake). We passed The Rock of Ages at the bottom of Burrington Combe on the way up.

Bristol Airport.

It’s there, right in front of you, with a 'plane on the roof of one of the buildings.

Touchdown!

Another one on its way in.

… and another.

Blagdon Lake, one of Bristol’s water supplies.

Compton Martin Mill Pond where we stopped for a brew.

One of the locals out for a swim.

Don’t drink the water. (That’s what it says on the side of this double pump).

Millpond sluice controls.

Wisteria covered cottage.

Village Church and school.

4 Likes

Filton,the birthplace of Concorde?
The famous 99 is unheard of here.May be too complicated for them.

1 Like

No, Bristol Airport is in Somersetshire, south of the city at a place called Lulsgate Bottom. Filton is to the north in South Gloucestershire.

Bristol is a city and county.

1 Like

I thought it looked a but too rural.In the olden days,you had to go from Filton if you were travelling from S.Wales.I did it twice.

1 Like

I lived on Filton aerodrome in the apprentices hostel what had previously been the ossifers’ mess, '72 - '76. I flew from there and back once in '89 on a BAC 111 to Munich. The return trip was the scariest flight I have ever had, but that’s another story.
The 'drome itself has had a myriad of uses from aircraft manufacturing to WW2 airfield to civil flights to flying training school to V-Bomber base to a test track for Bristol Cars.

1 Like