Holywell beach: Cans, meat and dirty nappy found buried in sand

Raw meat, plastic trays, drinks cans and a soiled nappy have been found buried in the sand on a Cornwall beach.

Resident Jim Main came across the rubbish at Holywell Bay, near Newquay, while walking his dog on Saturday. He said whoever had left it had “taken a lot of time to bury it rather than take it to the rubbish skips”.

Mr Main added it was not an isolated incident, with broken bottles left in the dunes and disposable barbecues also posing a risk.

“It was when our dog started to dig there that I realised what was going on,” Mr Main told BBC Radio Cornwall. I found plastic meat trays containing raw meat and leftovers, there were drinks cans, there were bottles, there was a soiled nappy. We want to share this natural beauty, but why come here and spoil it?" he asked. “It’s a total lack of respect and courtesy, it’s sheer laziness.”

Mr Main used his dog waste bags to gather up the mess.

IMO, the burying of the rubbish implies ignorance rather than laziness. The burier may have thought that they were doing the right thing. Nevertheless, it’s an irresponsible act which should have been penalised.

3 Likes

Burying it doesn’t imply ignorance. It says “I’m a lazy so-and-so and can’t be bothered clearing up after myself or taking it with me back home” :rage:

4 Likes

In this case, I’ll beg to differ. The typical beach morons leave their litter in view:

2 Likes

Why bury it though? Surely its more dangerous doing that…especially with cans?

2 Likes

It’s a type of vandalism… effort went into burying the rubbish .

2 Likes

You might think that, I might think that, but, perhaps, the burier has a different “cultural” background … :question:

1 Like

Ok…that may be true, I didn’t think of that. :+1: But they know rubbish when they see it, and know they don’t want to take it home with them, so…why not carry it to a bin on the way home?

1 Like

I’ll leave that question hanging, since we don’t know who buried the nappy and we’re entering the realm of speculation and conjecture … :115:

1 Like

Of course :smiley: I do wonder though, why we can’t employ beach cleaners, or have larger bins to accommodate these things? I mean, a few large bins made to look like beach pebbles so they don’t clash with the environment, would be an idea, wouldn’t it!

3 Likes

Well, that might sort the beaches out but what about the countryside? What would you do about the human poo left on Snowdon:

:poop:

1 Like

Eewww! Omah! :joy: Well I have no answer to that…although apparently there are poo shovels that wild campers take, with which to bury their…umm…waste. :face_vomiting: I don’t see how that can be right though.

Goodness … more poo.
I’d hate to see your google search history Omah … :rofl:

1 Like

@Omah, b Or perhaps it took no effort at all ?? The knappy wearer dug
the hole ,they just filled it in ?? :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

They just couldn’t be bothered to take their rubbish with them, couldn’t be bothered to find a bin and were worried some one might see them leaving and shout over … hey, you forgot your bag.
Not so much laziness as plain revolting.

1 Like

Whatever it is, it’s weird. After all, they carried it there (presumably in a bag of some sort), so it’s always been a mystery to me why carrying it out is such a big ask

I suppose one has to be philosophical about these things and just be thankful they removed the baby from the nappy before burying it.

2 Likes

Good point. Still a mystery why the meat was raw.

Doggy snack? Werewolves lunar food fest?

1 Like

Aye. Or maybe after a bit of domestic abuse, one of the little chavs needed some steak on their black eye?

It sounds to me as if they were sat on the beach and couldn’t be bothered to gather up their rubbish to take home or take it to the nearest bin.

But were shamefaced enough not to just walk away and leave it in case someone called them out, so they buried it

It doesn’t sound as if they buried it particularly deep, perhaps their kids had already been digging holes and they just dumped it in?

The meat was probably intended for a portable barbecue and they didn’t cook it all for some reason

Just selfish, lazy scum, really :rage:

But I’m not sure why this is nationals news?

It doesn’t sound as if there was a huge amount, just one family’s detritus, not lorry loads taken to the beach to be dumped

We get a lot more than that just dumped on our local beaches everyday, it’s disgusting but not unusual

The local councils do a good job of beach clearing and we have a lot of local volunteer groups who do beach and street litter picking

It shouldn’t be necessary if people behaved decently, of course, but they don’t :rage:

1 Like