Hoarder's four bedroom home which is being 'sold as seen'

I’m loathe to “heart” this as if I like it, but…yes…they hide in the creases of the binding and look like dust. These are the eggs. So our lad read this book in his room, in the living room, and all over. They took over his clothes, which went in the wash. (They don’t wash out, by the way, oh no too clever for that). He sat around the house as you do, and they bred in the living room, infesting the suite. Of course we all sat there didn’t we, so we all got the bugs on us too. They got into the carpets (which had to be torn up) Seriously it was a whole month of nightmare…bed bugs can lie dormant too…go without food for up to 3 years (I’ve read up on this) He was a teenager at this time, and refused to go to school for two weeks in case his friends found out.

4 Likes

OFF needs an AGREE button without having to like what has been said. I’ve sometimes agreed without actually being head-over-heels with the views.

2 Likes

Oh Pixie. I wish you could see my face… 'cos words can’t get across my reaction.

Did you tell the library about it?

1 Like

When I worked in the building trade I spent a lot of years mainly doing maintenance on Council houses & some of the places we saw were amazing.

We spent around 7- 9 months going through some old RAF housing bringing them up to standard for the council & less than 2 months after we had finished one house went back in to find the most awful mess.

One regular spring job for us involved helping to clear the house of a cat horder. It was so bad we were issued with disposable clothing & a portable shower/ changing room.

In many houses they were so dirty that the Council staff would not check our work, other than through a closed window.

One house we went to, the elderly owner opened the window & told us to… Shall I say, go away? My mate said, lets go & it was not until I turned to leave that I noticed the double barrelled shotgun pointing in our direction. The local constable, came gave old Fred, or what ever his name was, a telling off & that was that sorted. Fred was fine & the local copper left for his next job.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree with that LD. and sorry Pixie, I meant to say the same in your post too.

No…we chucked the book in the bin and paid the fine. Don’t care, I couldn’t in all honesty hand that book back in for someone else to get infected. Apparently you can put books in the freezer for a week to make sure there is nothing bad inside the pages…er…no ta! This is why I don’t buy second hand books… :frowning: which is a great shame as I love books, but…new or online from then on.

3 Likes

Oh gawd, I wouldn’t put it in the freezer either.

Yes, I love books. I’ve always taken between 6-8 books out at any one time from the library since being a kid.

Since the pandemic started, I’ve chucked the library (not that it was open in the beginning) and been buying them.

I shall continue buying them, and never go to the library again after reading about your experience.

3 Likes

I’m sure there are more hoarders at the moment, perhaps it’s a reaction to Covid uncertainty

I’d love to take my time and sort through those books.

Sounds like I better get some bug spray in, though :stuck_out_tongue::fearful:

3 Likes

We used to be in the building trade before my husband retired and you do see some awful sights.
Very often houses where people had pets are full of ravenous fleas in the carpet when they move out
Have you very used one of those flea bombs where you set it off, close the doors and leg it?

They really work, we used to have to set them off before we could start decorating sometimes

2 Likes

Err no, thankfully! :astonished:

2 Likes

You haven’t lived, you! I might try one in Last to Post in a minute :grinning:

Sometimes in empty houses you have to or you’d get eaten eaten alive

It’s literally like letting off a grenade, you pull the cap and it starts filling the air with poison fog! I’m sure you’d be dead if you stayed in the room with it, so it’s pull the detonator and run!

Might have worked on your bugs that time, though​:cockroach::cockroach::cockroach::cockroach:

2 Likes

Mareeeeee stop it! I’m itching now! :joy:

2 Likes

Update - this house sold for £213,000! :astonished:

1 Like