Historical mapping

I thought I might share this link. It’s a terrific resource that allows you to delve into the past and check out the loca history of your area to your hearts content. It’s thoroughly absorbing and I’ve spent hours on it but that’s just probably me.

The first edition Ordnance Survey Maps are particularly interesting, you can pinpoint more or less precisely what was around (or not) in your neck of the woods over a hundred years ago, even your own house if it’s old enough :wink:

Reading today’s good morning thread promoted me to post the link … enjoy :wink::+1:

6 Likes

Amazing. Thank U4 the link Chilli.
That’s going to, make this qwerty work overtime. :raised_hand: :raised_hand:

1 Like

Haven’t had a chance to look properly, but I don’t see any road names.

1 Like

Your welcome, enjoy! :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

It appears to be able to switch an 18cent map >> Contemporary Google maps, with roads. At a Clk.

1 Like

Probably more A-Z type mapping d00d.
Although it’ll be interesting to see if any other members add any other interesting and useful mapping resources to this topic. I bet there’s plenty out there!

One things for sure. Even with a cursory explore.
It shows how Forested the UK was, just 2 cents ago.
Greek & Latin, long shelved dictionaries. In the process of being dusted off. :wink:

1 Like

It is rather addictive isn’t it, makes me want to dust down my laser tridet :wink:

John Rocque’s London map, or one of them, from about 1850 showing Hyde Park.

Tyburn Lane, now Park Lane, Tyburn Street, now Oxford Street, Names now gone in an attempt to erase the Tyburn Tree and all things Tyburn from the history books.

I can’t find it but will keep on looking.

2 Likes

Yep, Stanford’s in Covent Garden used to sell some excellent facsimiles of Johnathan Rocque’s maps.
I’m glad you mentioned it , I thought that Standford’s doesn’t exist anymore, it does. It’s just moved from Long Acre to Mercer Street WC2. A must for our next trip to London :+1:

Oh dear…the three legged mare!

3b7880f95b148a85a5a05f4a1419c2da-2534752077

Awesome Chilli, time for bed now but I certainly give it some looking on tomorrow…
:+1:

2 Likes

I have a very fine guide to London that I use whenever I visit, it is full of useful information. It is getting a bit tatty now but it will see me out.

2 Likes

I did well with history in class. Then I began to find out about how cruel it was. Now I have no use for history and only hope the future turns out better for those.

1 Like

You should have lashed out on the 2/6d version Bruce, it would have lasted longer…
This is the one I like to use when travelling Britain…
Bradshaws

1 Like

This I find interesting. From 1746, you can see Park Lane/Oxford St with their old names, not much else has changed, other than not much development north of there.

2 Likes

this shows it better, the above link/image won’t zoom

2 Likes

Half a crown? on a map book? are you mad?

2 Likes

Nice one d00d…

Wasn’t The Serpentine so much smaller back then, it was originally fed by The River Westbourne although I don’t believe it still is today. The river now runs through a conduit above the platforms at Sloane Square underground station.

Not a lot of people know that :wink:

The spelling of Hide Park is interesting.

2 Likes

I bet they thought the spelling of Hyde Park in Sydney was better and copied it :wink:

1 Like

That’d be it, thank you Bruce, how I could kick myself! :wink:

1 Like