Highways England

1 Like

what an eyesore .I walk some disued Railways and have photographed many . they are part of History.
Most of these bridges were made for access to farmland for the Farmers , what are they going to do now drive miles out their way probably .
Its the same with some parts of the Canals , bridges from the canal path to footpaths on opposite side were taken away .

They Highways have taken the cheapest option , not the best looking , there goes another photo shoot!.

1 Like

The Guardian article report says this:
In a last-ditch offer to try to avoid the embarrassment and estimated £431,000 cost of removing the infill, NH offered to fund £450,000 to repair other structures on another stretch of disused railway near Great Musgrave if the concrete infill was allowed to remain.

The head of NH’s historical railways estate programme, Hélène Rossiter, told the committee that if it approved the application, NH would ringfence the money that would have been spent on removing the infill to improve other legacy structures in the Eden Valley.

I take that to mean Highways England know they cannot restore the bridge to the condition it was in before.

1 Like

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/20215842.great-musgrave-bridge-eden-council-refuse-permission-national-highways-concrete-infill/

Highways England or National Highways did not have full planning permission to do the work, just assumed thee council would agree.

1 Like

Getting it restored is a step forward , I hope no more go under tons of concrete , Power to the people that brought it to the attention of the Media .It could have gone on if people ignored this one .

2 Likes

Power to the people, indeed … :fist: