Highway Code: 61% of drivers have not read new guidance, AA survey suggests

The motoring group’s survey of 13,327 members suggested 8,090 (61%) drivers had not read changes made in January. Some 6,972 motorists had heard about the new rules but had not read them yet, while 1,118 drivers were completely unaware of the changes.

The new guidance gives pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders greater priorities on the road.

Vehicles should give at least 1.5m (4ft 11in) space when overtaking cyclists, and 2m (6ft 7in) for horses.

Drivers and other road users should give way to pedestrians crossing at road junctions, and are not allowed to cut across vulnerable users when exiting a junction.

The Highway Code now advises cyclists to ride in the centre of lanes on quieter roads, in slower-moving traffic and when approaching junctions.

A hierarchy of road-users was also introduced, meaning a driver in a car, van or lorry now has a greater responsibility to watch out for others.

Tim Rankin, managing director of AA Accident Assist, said the group was “concerned that so many still haven’t read the rules. While we are pleased that many of the changes can be successfully recalled, we’d like more drivers to know the rules outright so they can keep themselves and others safe. It is in everyone’s interest to take every measure that helps avoid collisions and remove confusion from the road, so we urge those that still haven’t read the updated code to do so as soon as possible.”

The changes to the Highway Code also state:

• Drivers and passengers should use the ‘Dutch Reach’ method - opening a car door with the hand furthest away - to ensure they turn their head and look before opening
  • Anyone using an electrical vehicle charging point should park as close to the point as possible, display a warning sign, and return charging cables neatly
  • Cyclists in groups should be considerate of other road users and can ride no more than two abreast
  • Cars and motorbikes should allow cyclists to move across their path when travelling around a roundabout
  • People cycling, riding a horse or driving a horse-drawn vehicle should respect the safety of walkers, but people walking should also take care not to obstruct them

I’ll bet that a survey of random road users would produce a result of over 90% … :unamused:

2 Likes

Pity about the demise in public information adverts.

1 Like

Tut, tut - those who haven’t read it are obviously not OFF members - we have diligently read and discussed the new rules in some detail on threads here. :innocent:

If it wasn’t for OFF, I may have been a random road user who hadn’t read the new bits of the Highway Code too! :blush:

1 Like

I was brainwashed - I still wear something white at night … :white_flag:

1 Like

Here’s a wild idea that would go some way to resolving it…drivers have to take a mini test either on an app or online which tests their knowledge of the highway code and recent amendments. After all, such apps are readily available for people to practise for the theory part of their test.

Once they pass it, then a code is sent to insurers either via the app or by the driver, which will be reflected by any premium change.

1 Like

IF i go out at night,i wear a high vis vest.
I remember wearing the higv vis bands as a child going to school.