Hiding behind responsibilities as an excuse for lack of training and exercise.

I do think schools do use metric these days, not Imperial. Same with grocery stores, doctors, engineering units and lots of other things… Yes, people still use them particularly people who are above a certain age.

I apologise for the digression. I exercise regularly - that dog makes me! My weight was around 65 kg when I was in my twenties. Now it is 70 kg in my seventies. That’s 11 stones.so tolerable.

:069: :069: :069:

Welcome to the forum! :039: I like your style.

I don’t have a weight problem, but I’d like to start exercising a bit more. I stopped exercising when I got injured a few years ago. I want to get back into it, but really slowly. One of my favorite motivational people says that if it’s not pleasurable, it’s not sustainable. So I’m trying to find ways to start super slowly and find some pleasure in it.

1 Like

I just do Yoga classes twice a week plus an Octago class in between.
What with that, lots of gardening and looking after my dogs, thats enough for me.:slightly_smiling_face:

Here you go, all you need is five minutes and a stair case!

https://forum.over50schat.com/t/the-everest-challenge/91384

Thank you OldGreyFox!
I agree that exercise should be done from the heart.
And yes, ‘divulging’ information to people I don’t know means that I am safe from someone using my queries against me. And I want to keep what I do - private.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience realspeed.
It’s hard to delegate when your role is to deliver the lessons, meetings, contact parents, deal with pastoral care, organise assemblies and events, dealing with behaviour and sanctions, absenteeism, CP issues, SEN support and everyday issues and still teach. When others are in the same situation (heavy workload) it’s hard to find someone to delegate to. Many teachers are leaving the profession, and I know why, but yes, you are correct, no job is worth your health.

I think you will discover if you say your not going to do all that any more those above will have the problem of finding someone else. One tip is to have a close look at your contract of employment you should have been given originally. See exactly what your job entails and throw that back at those above you. As long as you meet those employment contracts they can do nothing. The contract should state clearly what is expected from you, no more no less

Believe me when I left that company I ran with my wife our own business . so contracts of employment for staff the solicitor explained to us. If you don’t have one or given one then they are breaking the law.

Thank you for your sharing Besoeker!
It depends on what you are measuring or weighing. I.e., when using a scale some may refer to their mass in stones and pounds others may use kilos, scales have both. In recent years, some forms of measurement have become more commonplace, but here in the UK we still use miles for distance, example mph, and for height use feet and inches (sometimes in metres). Even recipe books still use ounces, but in terms of education, conversions between the two are a taught subject from primary. I like digressions!

You have done incredibly well to maintain your weight with such a small fluctuation. Regular exercise (and an energetic dog) seems to have helped. :smiley:

Hi butterscotch!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts! :smiley:
The quote reflects a similar post by OldGreyFox on this thread who stated…

’ only a passion for running or any other form of exercise must be done from the heart or it will be short lived.’

If you want to start slowly, I myself and going to try the suggestion by Maree, also on this thread, and do some form of exercise in 5, 10 or 15 bursts as a starting point.

1 Like

Hi Mups!
Seems like a well-rounded regime that fits nicely into your lifestyle.
Thank you for sharing.

Thank you kindly, M4. The dog is a joy.
Yes, UK has some quirks for measurements - miles and pints for example. But go in a pub for a wine and you get metric glass. When I have my annual heath check the doc weighs me in kg and my height in metres. The butter in my fridge is 250g. My kids and my grandkids all use metric. Systeme International (SI). actually. The whole world uses it except Myanamar, Liberia, and USA.

Enough! Glad that you have joined the forum. You seemed to have fitted right in. FWIW I’m the grumpy old Scotsman.

1 Like

You’re already having too much of a workout from just living your daily life.

If you want fitness, you have to ask yourself, “What am I aiming to make myself fitter…to do?”

Your body is being hammered by your existing responsibilities and activities around those, so you have no reason to exercise, because you’re obviously already fit for everything you already call upon your body to do. Basically, forget workouts of any kind, until you have the spare time, then…keep always in mind that becoming fit needs a reason…needs a “thing” that you’re making yourself fit to do.

A golfer might go running 3 days a week, after discovering what a great love and enthusiasm he has, for golf. The running will have absolutely NO EFFECT on his golf, at all, because he’s spent time making himself fit for running and no more of it made him better at / fitter for golf. Playing golf far more would make him better at golf, though.

What do you wish to make yourself “fit” for the doing of?

Living to be 150 - and still having all my marbles!

1 Like

Why do all athletes work out in a gym then if it doesn’t make them better?

I get enough excise , get a dog walk those lbs off .

I don’t want to lose weight I would like to gain a few lbs .

1 Like

You can have some of mine Ripple :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I could donate a few as well!

1 Like

I’ve no idea. I’d still be tempted to work out, even if there was no great incentive based on better performance in my preferred area of physical activity. Starting any game/sport simply increases our awareness of our bodies and I think that to work out in movements not resembling the activities we use during our games/sports, is still pretty natural to want. I would ignore the don’t-bother-with-running advice and just go for it, anyway.

Ron Hill once wrote that if you only have limited time, don’t waste it with stretching and warming up, use the time to run an extra mile or two. It always worked for me.

3 Likes