Henry's growth?

Does anybody know what this growth is on the cat’s nose please?

He’s Henry - my daughters much loved cat. He’s 17 years old & the vet says the anasthetic from an operation to remove it could kill him. On the other hand it’s growing fast…

The vet didn’t say what it was!

Older animals are more prone to getting these types of growths. My dog has a few on her hips. Best thing to do is just keep an eye on it - chances are if the vet is more concerned about the anaesthetic rather than the growth, its probably nothing to be worried about. If it changes colour or texture - or he bumps it and it bleeds, get it checked again, but on my dog, they tend to fall off on their own as if they are just warty type things.

Poor little man, don’t know what it is,Carol, does it ever bleed?

I’m sure the vet would know if it was cancer.

They wouldn’t operate on my old dog of 16 because of the anaesthetic risk either, Carol.

Some questions though, if you don’t mind.

Didn’t the the vet have any opinion at all, on what it could be?
Didn’t they give any advice on care, or what to do if it grows further, or bleeds?
Is it bothering Henry when he washes himself? Is he rubbing or scratching at it?

Poor old Puss.

1 Like

I’m surprised they can’t do a local anaesthetic/sedative as they would with a human.

Because they can tell us humans to keep very still Annie! :wink: Like when we have cataract ops.
An animal wouldn’t understand that, especially if it was frightened.

1 Like

Yes, that was my first thought - but as Mups has just pointed out, he would be frightened and wouldn’t keep still.

I’d be surprised if he doesn’t catch it with his claws when he’s washing his face.

The vet didn’t tell them what it was.

From what my daughter told me, all he talked about was the risk of anaesthetic against the risk of it growing bigger. He said it was their decision if they wanted to risk an operation.

I don’t think it bothers Henry when he washes himself & I don’t think he’s scratching it.

I’m not sure if the vet gave them any advice or not but they’d know to get back in touch if it bled or if it was irritating him.

Surely your Daughter should have asked the Vet what it is?

I wonder why the vet didn’t say anything .

Perhaps they can’t do a biopsy or aspiration or the same reasons?

When Sue asked the vet what it was his reply was ‘It is just one of those things’
( on account of Henry being old)