Help, I’m changing into me granny!

Most people get more like their mum and dad as they get older but I find I’m developing some of my granny’s funny little habits and my mum would have thought it was a hoot!

I’ve always got a peppermint in my handbag

I reuse the tea bag from my breakfast cup of te to make my eleven o’clock one (she used the old tea leaves)

I use leftovers from yesterday’s dinner to make my lunch

I never go out the front door without combing my hair and putting on my lippy

I grow runner beans and peas and in the autumn I make bramble jelly

I soak my feet in Epsom’s salts before I do a pedicure

I feed friends and family huge meals, whether they want them or not

I sometimes put a teaspoon of whisky or brandy in my evening cup of tea

I defend young people to the hilt regardless while being horribly critical of people my own age!

When I meet friends children or family children in the street, I always give them a £1 to spend
(It was sixpence, then half a crown from her)

There are probably more :joy:

What about you, do you still do things your grandparents did?

2 Likes

Sadly my memories of my grandmothers are only from my childhood, as my mum’s mum (the Nana I remember most) died when I was six, and my dad’s mum when I was 9. My dad’s mum only lived two doors down from us in London, but she was quite elderly when I knew her - 77 when I was born, so in her 80s by the time my memories began to form, and she had dementia by then.

I’ve always been told, though, that I’m very like my maternal grandmother in my ways. She was a lovely person (well, I would say that, wouldn’t I? :joy:), full of fun, and my siblings and I have lots of very fond memories of her. She had quite a sad life, married a wrong’un, who left her with two young children, so she moved back to her parents’ house. And although they took her in, I think she was treated like a skivvy from then, doing most of the housework and running errands, as well as working into the night sewing for various well-to-do clients all over London. But I only ever remember her with a smile on her face, always ready to play with us and take us out for treats.

I try very hard not to turn into my mum - she had some wonderful traits, and some less than wonderful ones :wink:. It’s the latter that I work hard at not cultivating - I do hope I’m succeeding :rofl:

1 Like

I never knew my grandmother, I can actually see and hear my deceased mother through me.

I have quite a few of her ways.

My hair must be just right.

I like all washing up done before I go to bed.

I can’t stand anyone touching my hair, once I have styled it.

She was exactly the same,…God Bless Her.:pray:

Oh ,and we both use/ used hairspray. Can’t bare the wind blowing our hair every where.

1 Like

Oh well, I’m not my granny…:slight_smile:
Actually, I didn’t exist then.

1 Like

I have been known to do all of those, Maree, did we share a Grandma?? :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Me too - I would not sleep well if my kitchen was in disarray! :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

Cousin! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Apparently I’m like my fathers mother in stature and looks according to my sister . This gran used to wear full make up and bright red lipstick well into her late 80s even though she was blind she also had 3 husbands and wore a fur coat and sometimes a fox stole ( not sure of spelling) so I put on a full face of make up bright red lips and wore a fur coat and walked into my sisters room just like gran with my arms out to feel her way and scared the life out of her …yep it seems I look like her .

But as I get older I see my father in my mirror its blinking scarey but does make me laugh . I have some of his ways, and I have many of mums ways too and at times feel like my mum .

Such is life

1 Like

Both my grandmothers lived over the sea!
My mother was brought up by her grandmother and spinster aunt because her brothers and sisters had TB and some of them died. She never returned home to live. I only saw her mother one or two times and she was very stylish and a bit eccentric, so l might be a bit like her as l can be a bit eccentric at times!!

My other grandmother, who l did see once annually, had a smiley face with beautiful, twinkling blue eyes. I would say l am more like her as l am more like my father.
I don’t know about their ways but my dad’s mother always used Ponds cream, sang and played the accordion. I also use Ponds cream but other than that, that’s all l know of her.

It’s quite sad really that l can’t reply to this thread in the way that was expected of me…

1 Like