Help for speeding

Me too. I use it wherever possible, it is especially useful driving through the average speed camera zones on motorways and dual carriageways.

Also the speed inhibitor could be used but I am not a fan of this as sometimes we need to accelerate out of trouble.

It’s possible to get to know the approximate speed of the car just by the sound of the engine but of course this isn’t good enough for the authorities because it doesn’t bring the money in.

Thank you - yes a ‘Road Angel’

One of my friends on face book has one of those. I think you have to subscribe to it though don’t you?

I wish I had cruise control - is it possible to have it fitted?

I went out with my daughter yesterday in her new Mini Cooper. She was using the cruise control - also it’s automatic so she sat there with her feet doing nothing at all. It fascinated me.

A different way of driving eh?:smiley:

most modern cars have voice warnings that you are exceeding the speed limit or are straddling a lane, or a red light to say you are over the speed limit, but given the age of people on this forum its basics of good driving practice. There are road signs and road markings to tell you what speed limit you are in, and if you follow the driving manual, or what you passed your test on, at least every 10 seconds you should be checking the road ahead, your mirrors and instruments…simples!!!

If a driver starts to persistently or routinely not pay attention to what they are doing whilst driving, the solution is not in finding gadgets that allow them to continue driving, the solution is for the driver to cease driving.

I think there is a difference between accidentally exceeding the speed limit and intentionally speeding.

It is very easy to slip over the speed limit, especially when temporary speed limits appear unexpectedly. I know there’s no excuse for it, but when you are fined for driving at 36 mph (as someone above mentioned) in a 30 mph zone, it isn’t exactly dangerous.

On the other hand, it is not infrequent to see boy racers speeding down our road (30 mph limit) where the only restriction is a nice, illuminating sign saying “slow down”. I’ve seen them doing about 70 mph there.
Someone was badly injured there not too long ago, yet despite requests the council refuses to install a speed camera at the usual location where such speeding occurs.

I can’t help but think that the fines for my former example of speeding (6 mph over the limit) is there simply to raise money!

Yep!..

I was just accelerating off a roundabout on the B road out of town, I could have been scammed, I don’t know.

I can tell you about some notorious money grabbing situations here in London. They must make £10K’s everyday, even from people that are familiar with the road. For example: turning right at box junctions where you can’t see if your exit is clear or not; you take your chances or get nowhere causing gridlock.

Just checked and it looks as if you do. Never had to when I got mine. I suspect the subcriptions are to allow updates as new speed cameras are added to our roads.

Again i am not sure best ask them but if you bought their product it will still work on speed cameras up to the date of purchase

:023:

I’m not at all surprised at that.

“You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right.”
Source: www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk

Most sat navs have speed warnings as standard and give an audible beep but the snag is they aren’t always accurate on the specific road limits so watching the speedo and the road ahead is the best option

Yes, carol, I use my foot. The trick is not to push it down too far. :slight_smile:

Yes it is possible to have after market cruise controls fitted to a car, I had one fitted to a car of mine.

Personally I use cruise control as an accelerator too so I keep my foot over the brake. (My car is an auto)

Yep, sounds simple enough. But there are situations where a junction is staggered, the oncoming traffic is nose-to-tail lorries and busses and you can’t see if your exit road is clear until after you have entered the box. It only takes a split second to get a lovely photo of you behind the wheel in the box after the lights have changed. And it can only takes a split second for you to be out of the box again. But they’ve got you.

Yes, I can believe that, the sneaky bastards. I remember reading about a fellow who had stopped at a red light when an ambulance came up behind, all blues and twos, so he carefully drove through the red light and up onto the pavement to allow it past (he didn’t actually cross the junction). He was caught on camera and fined, and even lost on appeal when he explained the situation :evil:

Cars speedometers overead by a few mph, that’s why most police forces allow 10% + 2mph, so if you are caught a 36 in a 30, you have exceeded the limit by 1mph, as for the road angel, these are usually for speed camera detection, both fixed and mobile, a subscription is usually required so these devices can be updated as camera locations are added/ removed, you don’t have to have a subscription, I had something similar but these units give lots of false readings, automatic doors set them off frequently so , unless you do lots of mileage they are probably not worth it, sat navy’s have built in gps and are very accurate so long as you are getting a signal, some dash cams have built in speed limit warnings, my car has traffic sign recognition with speed limiter so adjusts the speed accordingly, all new cars will have to have this as standard in the next couple of years…

Thanks for that very comprehensive explanation Bruce. So now I know that if I stick with the car’s speedo reading, I should always be within the speed limit!

Disgusting.

I suppose the person who made that decision would have preferred him to remain exactly where he was and risk the patient in the ambulance dying.

Perhaps one day that same person might be in an ambulance in a similar situation. Poetic justice!