Having a rubbish skip

If someone can make something out of what I put in the skip then that’s good, less to go into land fill. If they had spoken to me and said why they wanted it then no problem. It’s that they walked onto my property and helped themselves that has unnerved me. A few years ago two travellers attempted to break into my home so I am very wary of them anyway.
The skip was expensive, just over £200 for a 6 yard skip.

Crikey that is expensive. thanks for letting me know.

Margaret I understand how it made you feel, they invaded your own private space and it does unnerve some of us, I have been burgled when I lived in a bungalow, they even got past my Alsatian I had at the time…it was very unnerving to think someone had been going through my private drawers etc…it makes you feel awful, it’s the emotions that it stirs up…hope you are feeling more settled.

Thanks Pauline - sorry to hear you were burgled, there are some dreadful people around. I’m a tough old bird and feel ok now I’ve got it back into perspective. It’s a pain though that the skip is half empty now after the amount I paid!!

1 Like

FWIW
We got a new washing machine about a month ago. I took the old one out the bin. The fitter was going to pick it up a few days later and, in his words, if nobody takes it away in the mean time. They did - in less than an hour. My wife and I were pleased to get shot of it without having to haul it off to the tip.

2 Likes

its called recycling :rofl:

Maybe so, but they entered Margaret’s property without permission,:-1: which in turn shook her up.

But what was the end result? You may answer.

most likely travelling folks i was looking on light side and yes would shake you up sorry no offence ment

1 Like

No,I know you didn’t mean offence caveman, yes I think Margaret said she thought it was travellers.

I think she’s feeling better now so all good, she paid all that money though, for a now half empty skip, if she had known she could have left it near her drive…

If I have anything I don’t want, I leave it outside my gate, it’s usually gone by morning…

1 Like

The outcome is, at the end of the day, was not so bad. She a bit of a fright and some junk was stolen.
So why do you always ignore me?
Don’t you think that’s rather rude?

I’m going to have to get one to clear my mum’s house. I’m more worried about people filling it up as with their rubbish than people taking stuff away. I’m going to put all the junk in the garage first, then we’ll form a human chain to fill it up as soon as it arrives.

2 Likes

My worry would be that they probably had a good look around to see what else you’ve got while they were pinching it.

Can I please relate a similar story.
When I worked for BT a company was employed by BT to supply skips for waste. Everything scrap went in including 18x33" wallboards that we used to mount coinboxs and telephones on. On guy was caught taking out these wallboards and lost his job. it was theft one of the most serious offences with instant prosecution. The police were involved and they searched his house to find he was boarding his loft out with them

My neighbour hired one and it arrived very early in the morning, when he was all ready to fill it, they actually came back for it the same day…from what I can remember…

When I booked it Pauline I asked if they could pick it up the next day but I was told that they would try but it was unlikely because they were short of drivers and very busy. It was delivered on Thursday and is still here!

2 Likes

Ok Margaret, they must make a fortune hiring these skips out, they are everywhere in this neighbourhood, and yes, I’ve seen some here for ages.

1 Like

That’s incredibly rude. I take it that a skip is a big rectangular box used for dumping all the stuff you no longer want along with garbage and such. We did the same thing before we moved and I’d feel mortified if someone got in and stole our stuff. That’s beyond cheeky. That’s illegal.

We gave loads of stuff to charity. When we moved here we got here in time for a big garbage run. It’s a time when residents can purge all the stuff in their house, garage and sheds. It’s illegal for others to take stuff from the bottom of your driveway but people do. That part didn’t really bother me but that’s different than someone going through your ‘paid for’ garbage box.

1 Like

The worry is that they might bring back the things they don’t want. This happened to us once. There was a council collection booked to remove some large items of furniture including a mattress. As often happens some things disappeared including the mattress. I thought, hmm great? Who cares etc. However, 3 months later the mattress reappeared in the same spot that it had been left for the council to collect. I had to argue for weeks to get the council to take it as a fly tipped item. After all we had thrown it out and it was not our fault that someone nicked it before the council collection came. So, let’s hope that doesn’t happen to you Margaret. You should report it to the council or police for that reason.

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice Annie, I hadn’t considered that the items might be returned!

2 Likes

A long while ago, I wanted a bunch of things thrown out. I hired a service to take my stuff out. The guy shows up, asked what I wanted removed and they took it. They said that they recycled or sold the stuff. The price was reasonable, especially since I didn’t have to carry anything.

I was a tiny bit worried that they might rob me later, but nothing like that happened.

I used to see those services advertised all the time many years ago, but now not so much. I wonder if companies still do that.

1 Like