Have You Stocked Up For Halloween Yet?

now I thought it were the Irish

1 Like

If I could blame them I would, but no.
:rofl:

1 Like

LOL We are blamed for everything else - so why not?

3 Likes

When i was young I remember families bobbing for apples & eating parkin & jacket potatoes to keep warm, so I liked it . Since then a friend’s daughter & her friends were encouraged to go into an old mans house and offered sweets …till her dad who was watching went into the house and brought them home. The sweets were drugged!
Then I recall a TV presenters child getting badly burned when her costume was set alight by the decorations. I know these were isolated incidents but it made me realize that older children don’t want mum & dad to go with them, but if they go trick or treating alone they are not safe.
When I was a kid the worse that happened is that i got a bit wet bobbing for apples.
Just like Christmas, Halloween is now over commercialized so I would like to see kids at home with the family having fun, rather than trick or treating !

5 Likes

We used to do that on Bonfire night!

So would I, Twink. I am not one of the anti-fun brigade but, for me and mine, All Hallows is a sacred evening and I do not like to see it cheapened the way it is now.

1 Like

Not for me I’m afraid. The no trick or treating notice goes on the door as soon as the schools close.

2 Likes

I forgot the games! We always played bobbing for apples and if you peel an apple keeping the skin in one long coil and throw it over your shoulder, it forms the initial of the person you will marry

2 Likes

This year, I’m going to carve a pumpkin, make chocolate apples, a cake and a buffet on the coffee table and we’re going to watch a couple of episodes of that new Netflix series, Midnight Mass while we nibble

2 Likes

Never heard of All Hallows before, genuinely thought Halloween had derived from pagan festivities of the ancient Celts, with America adopting the day of the dead celebrations

The resurrection and the Easter bunny like Halloween may originate from Sacred beliefs and their celebrations of……With today’s festivities needing just an excuse to invent and party.

Still think/wished we like the Americans did more to celebrate (Party)Halloween, seems they have great Fun, Kids dressing/dressed up all wanting to show the world how they look, even parents and neighbours joining in……all getting to know one another, making friends is what its all about.

I understand others will disagree, and I respect that

Doesn’t seem like we are suffering food shortages here, But last night like the night before there was a lot of Panic buying , soon as last orders were called.

2 Likes

When we lived just around the corner from out Daughter she would dress the house and them. The three of them would all go out together and generally have a fun time with the locals.
When they were back home they would greet people/children with tricks or treats…all harmless and good memories.
.Depends on how you see it.
… I have never participated myself as such, but once threw a bucket of water over a few youngsters.
Young Mum, tired and fed up with the constant bell keep being pressed.
Also the shouting through the letter box, trick or treat…

1 Like

I made a turnip/swede lantern this year like we used to when I was a kid…….I think they’re creepier!

3 Likes

I think they are supposed to be creepy, Maree, so you got it right.

1 Like

The neighborhood had an awesome Halloween :jack_o_lantern: trick or treat

Seriously do people stock up for Halloween?
It’s just another commercial con but I suppose after covid any excuse for a party.

Halloween is similar to Christmas to me, and I put equal effort into ignoring both.

5 Likes

If there are any persistent pesky bell ringers, I’ll just answer the door and scare the wee brats $hitless … …

Seriously Harbal? Are you a Scrooge?

1 Like

Children going around to strangers doors asking for treats ?
Er no .

No. :018:

I used to love Christmas when my kids were still kids. I was almost as excited as they were when they ripped into their presents. Now though, at my age, Christmas is just an inconvenience, I’m afraid.

2 Likes

Scary movies check
Popcorn check
Broken doorbell check
I’m all set. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

2 Likes