Have you received an inheritance when your Parents/Grandparents passed away?

When my Father died I received one fifth of his estate. With 4 siblings at the time. A modest amount each

When Dad died he left me the world… :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:
Unfortunately, he didn’t own much of it… :anguished:

1 Like

Happy childhood memories

1 Like

Bad news…Mother as Father had already passed this world bless him.
She was pretty much nasty from the time my 1 sibling and I were married in 1967…They had moved to Wallington Surrey and we had a flat in Croydon but saved and saved towards a property of our own.
Well we stumbled across this Property in Beddington Surrey…Just a 15 minutes walk from my Parents house.
Everybody encouraged us to buy it…Was a nice area right over the road was The Wandle River and nearby was a real gem of a Park…Beddington Park with a Church in the grounds as well as many Great features and activities…Boating Lake a Nursery and also an afterschool entainment for under 14’s with all sorts of activies to keep then happy…
She had dementia and that was enough for her to be very nasty.
She changed the Will that my Late Father had made and left all the estate to My first born…He lives in their bungerlow now and has a top of the range car and all he never had when he lived in Council House…
We have a real odd relationship and My sibling says it is what kept her going for a few extra years…Just on insight Father had bought a burial plot for both of them. He adored her and became the all singing and dancing runner of all you have to do in a day day survival
My sibling said in the conditions of her death she wants a cremation so she never got buried with my Good Great Loving Father…Can tell you a books worth but…

4 Likes

The only thing I inherited from my father was debts and physical scars.

2 Likes

Mum’s money was taken in nursing home fees.

There wasn’t much left.

2 Likes

I inherited a small amount from my grandmother - enough to pay to get a carport built onto side of my house.

My father is still alive, I guess I will inherit money from him, shared between my siblings, - but I hope he spends as much as he wants in his lifetime and I would much rather he stay alive and well for much longer.

6 Likes

Nothing from my own parents but Property from my inlaws, which i will hand down to my children if i dont have to go in a home .

2 Likes

That is really sad. Glad to be rid of him then?

Not expecting any inheritance, hoping to make a decent wage, and continue to provide food wise.

Life is pretty darn good, my family has been blessed. Hoping to continue that trend.

2 Likes

Yes…the house I live in plus a nice amount of money.

2 Likes

we are comfortable

1 Like

Papa was a Rolling Stone.

Sort of.

2 Likes

Nothing from my parents. I’d have to go into their life story as to why …but I did get left £500 from an Uncle many years back.

2 Likes

A few grand from an aunt, I don’t know what happened to my father’s money, he remarried and she passed it on …

1 Like

Mum used to give us money over the years (which apparently Dad wasn’t too happy about), so we were able to enjoy it and spend as we liked. By the time mum passed away, (dad having gone some years earlier) there wasn’t that much left in her accounts, so we only got a few thousand each (split between the four of us). All homes had been sold so she was in a council flat at the end (sheltered housing), and her car had been written off in the accident she had the week before.

There may not have been a fortune in her estate, but she lived very comfortably, enjoyed her holidays (we went on a fair few cheapish cruises), and bought good food.

2 Likes

For the up-coming generation, the Gen Z, they are about to be on the receiving end of the Great Wealth Transfer - coming from the estates of the baby-boomer generation. This is estimated to be $65 trillion of movement in the US and ÂŁ5,5 trillion in the UK.
Unfortunately it will be concentrated on the lucky few and can’t be called wealth redistribution. And for most in this forum it will not benefit us.

1 Like

Hmmm … there must be millions of boomers with property worth hundreds of thousands divided by 2.4 equals enough to keep the future property market active.

1 Like

It’s a long story, but in short, yes. Very much so. I have never really recovered from it all.

1 Like

Let’s just say there was no sadness in me when my father died.
The opposite really. I felt relieved that we never had to interact again and I was able to get on with my life.

5 Likes