Have you ever painted along with Bob Ross (The Joy of Painting)?

I asked my AI chatbot for a recommendation for a show to watch when I’m feeling brain dead. It recommended Bob Ross’ Joy of Painting. To my surprise, Freevee (US) had 31 seasons of the show. In the UK, you can see 7 seasons on Sky or Now.

I started watching, thinking I couldn’t create the things he’s doing. But I talked to someone who said she has a friend who greatly improved their painting skill while watching Bob Ross.

Anyone else paint along with Bob Ross? Did it improve your skill?

1 Like

I don’t do the painting but I do enjoy watching and it is very relaxing

He had a very gentle, easy going personality, attractive and amusing

2 Likes

I started watching season 1 episode1. I think it was back in 1973. Same guy and same painting but he was a tiny bit more rough around the edges. New show for him and everything. Does he always say ‘pitcher’ for ‘picture’? It’s really pronounced in the first episode.

i dont paint in oils i use Acrylics,but like watching,and get ideas what to paint

1 Like

There’s a channel I follow on istagram called “hellolovelypeople” which always inspires me to paint (although the inspiration hasn’t resulted in any action yet). The channel streams simple step-by-step (postcard sized) watercolour illustrations, usually flowers or nature scenes.

Edited to add that when I watch the joy of painting I have always been distracted by Bob’s bouffant.

2 Likes

I used to like watching Bob and his 3" brushwork. Get it done and then stand back to admire the work :+1:

2 Likes

I’ve not watched Bob for a while but I went through a period when I didn’t miss an episode. What a brilliant chap and so talented. Such a shame he isn’t around now…
I don’t paint, but he made it so interesting and it was so relaxing just watching him do his stuff. Bashing the hell out of his brush on the side of the easel made me smile…
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I don’t really like his style of painting .
All the paintings are the same somewhat dated
He’s been dead a long time now .

Still makes entertaining watching though Muddy, especially someone like me who is devoid of any artistic ability whatsoever… :017:

I do much prefer your paintings

Thank you :grinning:

1 Like