Have you ever had Personalised Car Number Plates?

What was the message, Meaning?
Will you ever consider Personalised Number Plates?
They can be rather expensive

My cars have personalised number plates but they were bought in 1990 when it was a one off fee of $95, I just keep transferring them from vehicle to vehicle. I certainly wouldn’t have got them today when it would be an annual fee.

Originally I got them because my new car came with PUZ as the letters which for some reason I really didn’t like and when I went to the car registry to swap them they told me they were still PUZ and they had to take the first plates off the stack so I just applied for my initials and paid my $95.

1 Like

Some years ago I had 747 HJH - my plane and my title … :crown:

good one :ok_hand: :laughing:

1 Like

Yes i’ve had mine for nearly 30 years

1 Like

I did - K4 and two letters. A Citroen XM V6. Long time ago.

1 Like

W4NKA

No not on my car!

2 Likes

Sadly, it was on a 1961 Austin A35 van, like this:

but (badly) hand-painted in two-tone - yellow (main body) and green (doors and bonnet) … :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

I’ve had my plates for a few years now, just my initials S19. AGP, the s is supposed to be my wife’s first name initial and her birthday…

1 Like

No, I wouldn’t get one. I always felt like the police would tag people with unique plates more because they’re easier to remember.

1 Like

Yes and No.

I have never been taken with personal plates, it doesn’t hold any interest for me and can’t see the point of spending a lot of money on something as mundane as a number plate.

That said, I bought a new car last year and had the pick of available numbers, and the last three letters just happen to be the initials of me and my wife. Ordinarily I wouldn’t bothered as I was more interested in driving the car away, but my wife noticed it was available so that’s what we ended up with. Not so much a personal plate, just a coincidence of letters.

2 Likes

No, not in the original sense of using initials and the date of birth although they are not expensive but I simple wasn’t interested. I’m good at remembering numbers anyway. Since I didn’t use to register my car myself but had it registered by the dealer I couldn’t pick a reasonable number that was free of charge either. So for all my previous cars I ended up getting numbers from those left which included letters that no one else would ever choose. Insiders would immediately know that I didn’t pay for them.

Something else was important to me , though, and not just to me, and I consider it a personalised number plate . Over here, the first one to three letters show the area code for a region or a larger city which you live in and which people naturally often identify with. Sometimes there’s a choice between picking a number for a district or for the next larger city. After my move I took great pains to finally get a number plate for the city which I strongly identify with, in contrast to the region I never did but whose area code I’d had to use far too long. The shorter the area code the better. So one letter area codes are the most liked ones. It was mere coincidence that , while registering my car and that of my BH myself, I could also pick two consecutive four digit numbers for the second part of the registration number,of which mine stands for the first and the final year of my working life.

1 Like

There was a Lamborghini seen around where I live that had the reg. HE 11 YEA, I think it got nicked.

1 Like

What is strange is the folks who have a plate that is so ambiguous, they have to have a printed explanation below the registration number.

One of the best ones I saw was on a MK1 Fiesta, it read FAT 61T (FAT GIT) :smiley:

1 Like

A fair range of letter-number combinations referring to unwanted people or events are excluded anyway.

1 Like

I’m always thankful when I get an easy-to-remember combination of letters and number, thinking the cops are going to stop me and ask me to recite my reg!

1 Like

Them days are long gone, now we are all in the database :smiley:

1 Like

Yes but I think about 50 years ago they did ask, as if giving the right answer proved it was your car and not stolen. But there’s no logic in that.

1 Like

Your right dOOd, if I remember right, it was hard recalling your registration number to the cops, after a few Beers :grin:

1 Like

exactly!

1 Like