Have you ever been stung by Bees/wasps or the like?

Years ago Years ago I was attempting to get rid of an unwanted bee hive in the back yard of my employer when several of them attacked me and stung my face. ended up with 5 bee stings.
As a 14 year old I sat on a bull ant nest and got multiple bites. Bull Ants are the biggest ones? That hurt real bad

1 Like

Since I’ve been here,yes.The usual culprits, wasps and bull ants.
We have to get the wasp man out nearly every year .Apparently because of the relatively mild winters compared to Europe the wasps don’t always die off and form monster nests.

1 Like

I got stung by wasps when I was about 10 years old. Stung so badly I had to hospital. I since avoided it for the rest of my life - last 77 years so far…

1 Like

Yes, I was playing in the garden with one of our dogs when I was a small child. The ball rolled into some thick bushes and I went in after it, I got covered in wasps and so did the dog, we were both screaming and both my parents and my grandparents came running. I was taken to the hospital and the dog to the vet, both of us were kept in overnight, it left me scared stiff of wasps, bees, you name it, if it buzzes I’m gone.

1 Like

I turned over a plank in some grass thus disturbing a red ant’s nest. I was wearing a gardening boot but somehow some got inside and, next day, my ankle and foot began to itch. Over night my foot swelled and became hot and throbbing. I couldn’t wear a shoe or boot for some days but had to hobble around with one foot in a carpet slipper!

1 Like

I was stung by a Bee a few years ago. The bugger charged me ÂŁ50 for a jar of honey.

1 Like

I work in a care home, we always get a wasps nest every year, this year I have had to call out our pest controller twice as we had two big nests, I got stung last year on the hand , I don’t usually react to bites or stings, fortunately.

When I was a young teenager I was stung by a bee on my hand and my hand puffed up dramatically but I have been stung since without similar happening.

While I have been bitten by bull ants I think the worst sting I have ever had is one from Paper Wasps. I have always had Paper Wasps around my house and they often build nests hanging off my patio roof or in the eaves. One day I was painting my house and I slapped paint on a nest before I saw it, the wasps were not at all pleased and one stung me, it was not totally unbearable but certainly the worst sting I have ever experienced.

1 Like

I’ve never been stung and hope I never will although I’m regularly exposed to them. I don’t know if I’m allergic to their stings. I once had a giant nest in the attic and couldn’t go there the whole summer. I removed the nest in winter and made sure they couldn’t use the place again. Here in my new home we are pestered by them for about two months in summer but don’t know where the nest is. They try to build a nest always at the same place of my shed which luckily is easily accessible so that I wait for them and prepare the spot so that they don’t like it. Should they still have built one while we were away, it has always been so small that I can remove it while it’s empty but have to take care almost the whole summer.

I read about red ants having succeeded in becoming native here, too, as had been dreaded.

1 Like

Yep, I spent a happy year living in the country when I was five/six. I got stung by both wasps and bees although never badly, it was just part and parcel of growing up. Oh, I also caught a mouse in the garden which promptly bit me…ouch!

1 Like

:rofl: :laughing: :grin: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :upside_down_face:

Back on the seventies I’d got myself some trendy shoes with a high tongue at the front

I was standing outside a shop when, suddenly, searing pain in the foot

A ruddy wasp had crawled in the shoe and got trapped under the high front, I’d squashed it and it stung!

Agony but no allergic reaction……

They were a bit like these, an obvious wasp trap!

IMG_8164

2 Likes

It was my great self-restraint that prevented me from adding the reply that first rushed into my mind :wink::+1:

2 Likes

And you wonder why you need a stab vest? :rofl:

2 Likes

Hornets - nasty creatures. My wife’s grandfather got seriously stung. They lived in Georgia, USA.

1 Like

Yes, I have been stung by wasps, bees and horse flies. I am allergic to them all. Petrified when they are around. I’m told “keep still and they won’t hurt you”… yeah right!

1 Like