Have you ever been shot?

When I was 14, me and a mate was up in the hills exploring. I had gotten about 200 meters ahead when suddenly something hit me in the side of my head and forcefully knocked me to the ground.
My mate had shot me with his air rifle which fired lead slugs. I laid on the ground with blood pouring out pretending to be dead.
He came running up, crying loudly and screaming, “I did not mean to hit you, I fired above you”
I laid prostrate for about 2 minutes before showing him I was alive. Poor kid was in a right state thinking he had killed me.
We told no one. The lead slug was hidden in my hair so could not be seen. It stayed there for 6 weeks until the swelling went down and I removed it with tweezers

1 Like

Are you serious? As I kid you kept a bullet in your scalp for 6 weeks? OMG!:scream:
Your poor friend must have just about **** himself. Did your parents eventually find out?

No I haven’t ever been shot.

I was shot a few times with pellets as a young teenager. Nothing that caused any damage though. It was not thought unusual or dangerous for boys to be carrying air rifles or pistols back then.

1 Like

Yes I have. Let’s just call it a warning shot

1 Like

I’ve been shot at. It was back in the 70s outside the Galtymore in Cricklewood. Some teenager with a grudge I suppose, it was an Irish club at the time of the Troubles and terrorist attacks

He fired at the crowds coming out, it didn’t really register with me, just heard the bullets banging behind us

I don’t think anyone was hurt

1 Like

You Aussies are a tough bunch

My parents never found out. The lead slug was only 1/4" long and wide. Really quite small. Though it felt like a sledge hammer when it hit me in the temple.

Air rifles were common in Australia/Tasmania back in the 60s and 70s.

Scary, warning shot or no…

A shock after you realised what actually went on though, I’m sure.

Tassie Tough :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My brother and I both had .22 BSA air rifles and regularly shot each other, not in the head it has to be said. The slug left a bruise but rarely penetrated the skin.

When I was at grammar school I was hit on the forehead by a stone fired from a catapult (we were having a catapult war) it actually didn’t hurt much but it must have pierced a blood vessel because next thing I know blood is streaming down my face. My friend who had fired the shot thought he had killed me and was grief stricken.

It is a wonder we didn’t blind each other with those dangerous games - though we didn’t think they were dangerous at the time.

1 Like

Bret, with mates like that, who needs enemies :grin:. I had a mate like that, right sadistic bastard. :rofl:

1 Like

I’ve never been shot.

The OP’s story reminded me that we used to shoot at each other with homemade rubber band guns. The rubber bands didn’t do much damage, just got your attention.

Also the Nerf guns and water guns, but those weren’t dangerous either.

2 Likes

Not shot, but I do carry a few old superficial marks from fencing without all the proper protection apart from my face guard, so nobody to blame but myself.

1 Like

Strange the the slugs never penetrated the skin. Maybe the flesh absorbed the shock. My head shot was at the temple, very little fleshy skin and a hard bone backing.
Playing cowboys and indians one day, I was hiding behind a rock, as I looked up a “spear” (long wooden tent pole with 4" steel spike on the end) hit me an inch below one of my eyes. Instantly all was red, healed with time.

His words - “I fired above you” :grin:

We were visiting an historic church in Cyprus, which was being maintained when as we emerged a loud shot sound similar to .22 calibre rifle and I felt a short sharp pain in my left wrist. I mild amount of blood was dribbling as I held onto it. My wife and our host started shouting at someone across the road. It seems that a young man was attempting to kill a cat which was under a car and the miss had caused small pieces of gravel to hit me. The young man quickly disappeared leaving his grandfather to receive the abuse hurled by my two ladies! The pain soon faded and the blood stopped and we left using only a sticking plaster. It was only a couple of days before we left Cyprus and flew to the UK. Seven years later, back in New Zealand I had a sudden itch in my left wrist. As I madly scratched at it a small piece of Cyprus fell out!
Pervolia Church

1 Like

It was a lucky thing the bullet never ricocheted into you. :astonished:

I was about 13 years old. A friend sitting across a table from me deliberately shot me in the chest with his .177 air pistol. It didn’t hurt through my clothing but I was incensed that a mate should do this. I went to load my pistol to shoot him back and seeing what I was doing, he made for my gun. After a struggle I did manage to shoot him and we called it quits. Have to remember that air pistols in those days were not very powerful and I don’t think a pellet from one would ever penetrate the skin.

We were into air rifles and would have ‘cowboy-like’ fights with them. I poked my head above the wall that was shielding me and a pellet hit me in the eye. Luckily I blinked before it hit. The pellet had turned around and the skirt of it gave me a perfect circle on my eyelid. My parents asked what had made the mark. I told them it was done when I brushed past a twig but my Dad said he knew just what had done it. Surprisingly, he left it at that.

Out in the countryside, we spoke to some bigger kids who had air rifles. We parted company and one of them took a shot from what looked like about 300 yards away. The pellet had lost momentum and lightly hit me on the arm. We met up again a little later and he was disappointed because he’d aimed at my head.

Happy days!

The air rifle that shot me was very powerful. Knocked me off my feet with the force of a sledge hammer from well over 200 meters.

Your rifle must have been nothing like ours.
This is the type of Air Rifle that shot me.
)
The Lead slug was the 4th from the left.
)

I don’t remember any of us having a particularly powerful air rifles (thankfully). The pellet that hit my eye was similar in shape to those shown but only .177 rather than .22. I don’t know how it turned around so that it hit skirt first. Perhaps brushed the wall on the way though. It was all a bit quick.

2 Likes

I had one these, cheap as chips perhaps but they can hurt… don’t bother with the darts!

1 Like

**BANG !!!

ERM…no**

1 Like

A police officer pulled his side arm on me in Cairo, I was furious, best not to argue :wink:

1 Like