Have you ever been Homeless?

There must be a fair amount of stress being a landlord.

Thank you. It took many years and plenty of failed attempts until I eventually took control of my life.

Nothing like the OPs problems.

I suppose technically I have been homeless in the 1960s and to a lesser extent 1970s, I used to work six months of the year when in Australia and travel for 6 months so sometimes I would couch surf with friends between travels.

Once in Queensland in about 1967 I was hitch hiking and got picked up by the police for vagrancy because I didn’t have a permanent address though when I showed them my bank book (remember those) they decided they couldn’t make it stick and told me to bugger off.

1 Like

Told you to “Bugger Off”
Where did you “Bugger Off” to if I may be so bold to ask?

Dreadful feeling to have no where of your own to go .
Every living thing needs a place where it feels safe and comfortable .

1 Like

If ever I was to become homeless again I think I would go for a long drive out into the desert.

In the desert you can’t remember your name
'Cause there ain’t no one for to give you no pain

2 Likes

You’re so right. I’m always conscious that I could lose everything in one go. And I did lose everything in my divorce and left with debt and two kids to grow up. Lived on the breadline for a few years. I didn’t have enough food for my kids and would eat porridge so that they could eat properly.

The only way out of my situation was working two jobs and studying. With each qualification my salary improved and we improved as a family. Now, I’ve my own freehold home, car and a good job and savings in the bank with no debt. I never want to end up with nothing ever again. So I’m very prudent.

I always help those less fortunate than I am but I believe it’s a private thing to do between me and God and the person I’ve helped. Help isn’t always monetary in nature. Sometimes a word of encouragement is all that’s needed.

8 Likes

Yes Minx, just focus on the graft, and thank God for giving you the opportunity to do so.

1 Like

To be honest I can’t remember but I think I was on my way back from hitching up to Cairns and I think this was on or near the Gold Coast (I had made a detour to a very unimpressive Surfers Paradise) so they may well have dropped me off at the border of NSW at Tweed Heads.

You have to remember this was nearly 60 years ago.

1 Like

Memory does start to fade after such a long time.
Either fade or we conjure up false memories.

1 Like

As long as you’re on a horse with no name

1 Like

I was briefly homeless decades ago when I was very much younger.

My first port of call was a student flat in Golders Green where my girlfriend was visiting friends .
I was invited to stay and things evolved from there.

In retrospect there were times when it was like living out an episode of the young ones.

1 Like

And you would be Vyvyan ? :grinning:

2 Likes

There maybe a Jerzei Balowski in this house :icon_wink:

I’m not telling :wink: :innocent:

2 Likes

What not for?

1 Like

I can’t remember…it was such a very long time ago :laughing:

1 Like

I was in a flat share when 17.There was a Mike but the rest of us were Ricks.

2 Likes

I suppose on reflection I was an unlikely hybrid of Vyvyn and Neil.
Unlike the TV series there were about four girls living there too give or take a few, it could get quite transient.

1 Like