Have you ever been called Spritely?

If somebody called me “spritely” I’d take it as a compliment. Maybe I don’t understand the word correctly but I think it’s the same as being called “youthful”???

9 Likes

I’m with you on that. Anybody can call me spritely any day they like

4 Likes

Google says:

sprightly

adjective

adjective: spritely

1. (especially of an old person) lively; full of energy.

“she was quite sprightly for her age”

Hmmm, well I thought the same as @Mad-Ralph .

5 Likes

I have been described as spritely. People remark on my natural walking pace and I’m still on my bike (or will be soon). I’m lucky to always bounce back to that condition despite various setbacks. I hope to be spritely at least until I’m 80 in a few month’s time …hopefully beyond that.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind being called spritely. My family say that I am ‘young older’ because I am active and ‘young at heart’. I would rather be called spritely than referred to as ‘an old biddy’ I have heard this term used about women of my age :scream:

3 Likes

A compliment is a gift of good intentions ribboned with words. It’s not the bow that matters :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Any time a person shows you they are thinking of you in adjectives or adverbs, it means you are in their immediate mind. That is not a bad thing at all in my book, better than being dismissed as not worth another thought. And if they feel a need to share with you, it is usually complimentary. :blush:

4 Likes

I hate the word.

1 Like

What offends you so much about this word?

I get called dude, compliment or insult?

The word sprightly comes from the word sprite, which is a small, elf-like fairy creature. If someone acts like a happy little fairy, has a lot of enthusiasm, and acts in a youthful way, she’s sprightly. To be sprightly is to be full of spirit and vitality, to be happy, and to have a positive attitude. Someone who radiates energy and positivity is sprightly.

Definitions of sprightly

1. adjective

full of spirit and vitality

“a sprightly young girl”

“a sprightly dance”

synonyms:spirited

displaying animation, vigor, or liveliness

purrfect name for all and sundry I say I say

1 Like

compliment!

2 Likes

I just don’t think it is needed to describe people of our age.

1 Like

I have always thought “sprightly” was a complimentary description for a person of any age.
Why would anyone be offended by being described as “being full of youthful, vibrant energy” ?

4 Likes

Sh1t of a shovel, that’s me. :laughing:

1 Like

What I say to people who call me dude;
Don’t call me Dude, Dude
I’m an Aussie mate.
I like Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos
Holden Cars, Aeroplane Jelly and Vegemite :smiley:

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve heard of the word before, so I wouldn’t have context to be offended. Reminds me of the soda (drink). But it sounds positive from the sound of it.

2 Likes

Aussie dude, no one else would dare mention the V word.

1 Like

There’s an old Scottish folklore tale about The Sprightly Tailor

2 Likes

I hope the young lady who is altering my shorts doesn’t have to endure the same monster…
:open_mouth:

1 Like