Has there been a lot of rain where you are this year?

Since January 1st, Perth has received 8.4mm of rain.
Midway between a 1/4 and 3/8ths of an inch.
Rather parched at the moment.

1 Like

No shortage of rain in my area, Brett. Just a few dsys ago we got 1 3/4 inches of rain in 8 hours. It has been quite miost here lately. More expected over the Easter weekend.

No need to water the garden then.
Do you enjoy rainy weather?

At times, yes, I do. Especially light summer rains with a bit of lightning and ending with a rainbow.

1 Like

It is an interesting point, I record the rain in my garden and this year is definitely less that the previous two years for Jan to March (still a couple of days in March to go but the forecast is for little/no rain)

2024- 244mm
2023-374mm
2022-939mm (about half of that fell in March)

You have to remember that for the east coast summer is always wetter than winter probably because of the Monsoon and the odd cyclone up north

BTW I live in a bit of a rain shadow, rain coming over the escarpment tends to split and go north and south of me.

That sure is a lot of rain.
Compared to Perth summer rainfall.

toooo much

1 Like

The rain has cast a cloud over LTP!!!

1 Like

Although we’ve been lucky that there’s been quite some rain during the last six months, the overall balance is still negative, i.e., billions of litres of rain are still missing compared to the average precipitation of the last decades. That’s the result of satellite observations and measurements. The rainfall over the winter months has led to the surface being sufficiently humid up to a depth of two metres but soil moisture lower than that and groundwater levels are still lower than necessary. Rainfall peaked in Dec at 24 mm and dropped to 8 mm this month.

2 Likes

We have had loads of rain in the midlands and in Somerset.
Rained every day for the last 2 weeks there.

1 Like

Wow Dachs, that’s very comprehensive… :open_mouth:
Last year we had virtually no rain in the spring just when everything was growing and needed some light rain.
This year we seem to get rain instead of snow here.
The ground has become quite sodden and it doesn’t take much rain to create big puddles of standing water. It was quite warm in January and the beginning of February without much rain to speak of, but March has been quite cold and soggy.
Although my appraisal is not as scientifically based as Dachs, I refer to my walking and running log for the condition of the lane and whether I ran in shorts and running shoes or not. I almost always include a note about the weather.
Although I have been walking in bottoms and sturdy shoes recently, I did actually wear shorts and running shoes a couple of days in January. Which suggest dry and mild weather for the time of year.
In summary: I would say the rainfall in my little neck of the woods has been about average for the time of year, but rain seems to have replaced snow now in the winter months.
Anybody want to buy a toboggan?
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Almost April and it’s been near constant rain. Not even had the chance to get my camera out with this miserable weather :frowning_face:

1 Like

Did you really have so much snow in the past, Bob? Do you have outdoor plumbing in your area and if so, would that be insulated? Can you run in shorts on some days in any winter or has that been a more recent thing ? Guess you’re tougher than me anyway.

1 Like

One of my observations about the UK when I lived there was that it always looked a bit grubby because of the drizzle. It was enough to wet everything and make it stick to the ground but not enough to wash it away.

When I first came to Australia it was noticeable how clean the streets were because when it rained it really rained and washed everything into the stormwater drains (in those days Sydney’s rain was twice that of London but occurred on half as many days). It sometimes causes flash flooding.

However my brother recently commented that his area (near Manchester) seemed to have a lot less drizzle and more heavy rain.

Is this true from your own observations?

1 Like