Harry and Meghan to be questioned in Samantha Markle US defamation court case

Samantha Markle is suing Meghan for “defamation and injurious falsehoods” following the couple’s interview with Oprah Winfrey in 2021. She alleges she was defamed when Meghan “falsely and maliciously” said she was “an only child”.

A motion brought by Meghan to stop depositions in the civil case from taking place was dismissed by a judge. A deposition is a formal statement of evidence in the US, required to be taken of a witness or party to litigation by a court. Documents obtained by PA News agency show the original motion. They show Samantha Markle, who has MS and uses a wheelchair, brought the action, saying around 50m people in 17 countries had watched the Winfrey interview.

The motion says that it “disseminated false and malicious lies” and had subjected Samantha Markle to “humiliation, shame and hatred on a worldwide scale”. It adds that Meghan had used “the powerful resources of the Royal Family’s public relations operation” to spread “lies worldwide” about Samantha Markle and their father Thomas Markle and describes it as a “premediated campaign to destroy their reputation and credibility”. It was done, the motion says, “to preserve and promote the false ‘rags to royalty’ narrative”.

There is no doubt that the H&M legal team will seek to refute the allegations against Meghan but their tactics and methods may prove “interesting” … as will the “performances” of H&M themselves … :thinking:

The outcome will be very interesting Omah.
H and M think they are untouchable.
I suppose Spare 2 will out after the hearing/outcome.

2 Likes

Meghan did not say she was an only child - she said she grew up as an only child, which is true because her half-siblings were much older than she was.
I don’t see how Samantha Markle can claim this comment is defamatory against her - considering Samantha was first married before or around the time Meghan was born, she must have been an adult during Meghan’s childhood, so they didn’t grow up as half-sibling children together.
In fact, Samantha’s daughter is only 4 years younger than Meghan - and she didn’t grow up with her either because Samantha’s first two children were raised by their paternal grandparents.

It seems to me that Samantha Markle has tried to cash in on her connection to Meghan since Meghan and Harry first announced they were a couple.
Wasn’t it Samantha who admitted she had persuaded their Dad to do talk to the Press, an action which started off a whole chain of trouble?

From what I’ve seen of Samantha Markle, I think I’d try to cut her out of my life if she was my half-sister!

1 Like

An attempt to make some cash by Samantha. IMO.

1 Like

Glad to see this nonsensical case brought by Samantha Markle was thrown out of court

1 Like