Happy Somerset Day Everyone!

After a long campaign, Somerset has it’s own official flag! Proudly flying over many town halls today :+1:

Oh yes the famous Somerset Dragons who live in the caves and toast the cheese for the tourists.

1 Like

:rofl: And wash it down with Scrumpy!

2 Likes

It’s a fantastic county.If the rest of the world was like Somerset we’d all be in a better place.

4 Likes

I’m a loyal Londoner myself but I’ve lived here long enough to feel a bit of affection! It’s has some lovely places

The dragon is supposed to be a Wessex dragon, like on the standards of King Alfred and King Harold

And Somerset is full of dragon legends and images

From “Off the beaten track in Somerset”

1. Norton Fitzwarren: a dragon lived on the Iron Age hillfort and was killed by a local man called Fulk Fitzwarin
  2. Carhampton: a Celtic saint named St Carantoc defeated a dragon which lived on the marshes.
  3. Bicknoller: there is a legend that a dying dragon will try and reach the sea, which is why there is a Dragon’s Cross at Bilbrook.
  4. Shervage Wood: the Gurt Wurm or Great Worm was cut in half by a woodman from Stogumber. One part ran to Bilbrook and the other to Kingston St Mary.
  5. Kingston St Mary: a dragon lived nearby and breathed out flames, which it used to cook its animal and human victims. A villager rolled a large stone down a hill into its mouth and killed it.
  6. Churchstanton: a dragon was slain by a valiant knight.
  7. Castle Neroche: a dragon stole treasure from passing travellers but it was eventually drowned by local villagers.
  8. Aller: there are several versions of the story. One is that John Aller killed a dragon with a spear.
  9. Dulcote: a dragon with the face of a woman was terrorising the area. It was slain with a sacred sword from Glastonbury by Bishop Jocelyn of Wells.
  10. Kilve: a dragon called Blue Ben went into the sea to cool off but got stuck in the mud and drowned when the tide came in.

1 Like

Brilliant - I love the flag!

1 Like

Dragons are good guys - they like to be helpful!

1 Like

But everyone wants to make a name for themselves by slaying them !!!

My father worked on farms all over the county when we lived near Chard.When we moved away we often went back for holidays.

Sorry, every time I post, it posts twice!

A name not permitted on an open forum - just pass me a 12 bore - that’ll sort the bounders!

1 Like

Hi

Happy Somerset Day to me is getting rid of JRM.

That was our summer day out destination when I were little.

1 Like

We still go to a Weston for a day out, it’s not far from us. It’s a real British seaside and loads of people and kids having a good time there

There going to have the See Monster soon

1 Like

Who/what is JRM, Swimmy?

Well despite living here for the last forty years (I’m still considered an incomer but tolerated because I married my Lovely Cousin who was born in the Land of the Summer Settlers), I did not know that yesterday was Zumerzet Day.
Oh the shame. :hot_face:

'Tis a beautiful county (other counties are available), and I love it here. We can be out in the countryside within five minutes by car, or by the coast in about ten. We can get local, fresh produce from farm or orchard in our village, and local rail links mean we can get to just about anywhere in the UK without to much difficulty.

Once you get out of the bigger towns, the pace of life slows down giving you time to actually look at and enjoy the beautiful countryside and coastline. Shame about the mud.

1 Like

A certain Mister Reece-Mogg is one of the Somerset MPs. Mine is not much better.

A snippet of gossip for you about JRM!

A couple of weeks ago he visited an office of an organisation I sometimes collaborate with.

And for the buffet, his people requested they provided plain white bread cheese sandwiches

Apparently, he only eats white bread and hates anything spicy or exotic :rofl:

Yes, we’re very lucky to live somewhere so lovely, even if I do make jokes about yokels and wish I was living back home in London :rofl:

Us locals just time the tides so we go to the beaches when it’s in and don’t see the mud, although it can have a beauty of it’s own

And the sea may be brown but it’s still lovely for a swim, I go to the newly refurbished tidal pool in Clevedon, better than the South of France

1 Like

1 Like