Cheers!

. :sunglasses: :running_woman: :us: :clinking_glasses: :sparkler: :firecracker:

6 Likes

It’s a day off for you guys.

Every day is a day off for me. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Happy independence day Surfermom… :+1:
:mini: :mini: :mini: :mini: :mini: :mini: :mini: :mini: :mini: :mini:
It’s Independence day here too if enough people vote for the Reform Party and get rid of those two cretins that couldn’t run a two ticket raffle… :009:

3 Likes

And the same to you.I remember reading something about they didn’t know what powers to give the new President so the founding fathers treated him like an elected temporary king And some in the past have been accused of acting like one.eg: Henry James suggested that the President’s initials, TR, did not so much stand for Theodore Roosevelt but rather for Theodore Rex. :grinning:

2 Likes

It was very important to Washington that he not project himself as a king, so he balked at wearing his uniform or anything projecting power. The other problem was that the most handsome and best-made fabrics and suits came from England. So, he chose a simple brown suit, made of a plain American-made broadcloth to project his understanding that the position of the presidency was a humble one with the limited powers of every other elected citizen.

Touché!

Thanks, OGF. It is a good day to be patriotic and remember what a glorious institution democracy is - in it many forms.

:us:

3 Likes

Happy Independence Day to all our American friends! :smiley:

2 Likes

^5 ^5 Best Wishes. Enjoy your Independence Day. Wild Colonials. :wink:
4th July. Is “Self Reliance Day” Here across the pond. :grimacing:
[/quote]

2 Likes

Thanks, Rose, I will pass along the sentiment!

1 Like

Yes, we did go a little berserk there, didn’t we?

Although “Self Reliance Day” is a new one to me, we could use a lot more of that these days. We are ever reminded that freedom is as much a responsibility as it is a right.

2 Likes

Happy Independence Day! You could still apply to rejoin the UK :slight_smile:

1 Like

Or the other way around? :grin:

Cheers, Mart!

1 Like

It’s a thought isn’t it? :grinning:

1 Like

2 Likes