Handwriting in the 20/30s

I don’t know whether this is a thing that our Parents were taught at School, or was it just my Mother’s weird way of writing, but my Mum never used Capital letters, she used small letters but just enlarged them, for instance she signed her name of amy, but with a big small a, and I could never understand why she never used Capital letters, but recently i’ve started doing it, which annoys me.

Has your Parents ever done anything like that before?

2 Likes

Never my parents both wrote a beautiful hand I have never heard of anyone not using capitals although I have heard of people not using joined up language .

I’ve seen this over here, too, a big small letter being used instead of the actual capital one. Was that the only difference you noticed?

My parents learnt a type of handwriting called “Suetterlin” which is quite difficult to read for those who only learnt Latin handwriting. I’ve written my nickname Dachs in Suetterlin here:

When old family documents are taken out or church books are to be read, the knowledge of this writing is absolutely necessary. I find it harder to read old handwritten texts in German than in English which doesn’t seem to have changed a lot.

Nope! My Mother had learned handwriting at a Covent school. It was quite fancy. It’s the in-understandable writing done by doctors and lawyers. I’d learned how to decipher it over the years from her groceries list.

I handwrite very similarly to my father rounded, well proportional with Capitals, punctuation et Al. My signature, well that’s another kettle of fish altogether lol!

No one can reproduce it and that got me an appreciative pat on the back from Papa.

Daughter currently writes as her Papa, my husband and my son writes like myself. It’s weird how our DNA dictates who, how and which way we’ll go in our endeavours.

As when it comes to writing and speaking, it’s very much a blend of both my parents and my heritage.

Just a wee while back, no one understood that the name Lady Trieste was the heroine of one of my old stories. They thought it was a story about the city. Go figure!

:joy::joy::joy:

Why?

My parents used Capitals.My mother was naturally left-handed but was made to write right-handed in school which she always did afterwards.

My mum had gorgeous handwriting it was like a work of art so perfect. Mine is like scribble I’m always just behind what my brain is thinking trying to catch up.

The computer has made all our kids have great keyboard skills writing by hand is almost becoming obsolete…having said that my five year old grandson Stanley has brilliant writing skills I’m sure I was never as clever at that age

No not noticed anything else.

Deleted

I was raised by my paternal grandparents and their handwriting via fountain pens was always well formed with capital letters where they should have been. My Nan was a very fine calligrapher with all the correct dip pens; her skills must have rubbed off onto me as I too took up the art and I still occasionally use it when writing cards etc and very personal letters.
When I left boarding school, I left with a handwriting award :trophy:

My father, who married late in life was taught calligraphy at school in the 1920s. He retained beautiful handwriting for the rest of his life.

1 Like

My Mum always used cursive writing and hers was very neat and even.
I’m pretty sure that cursive writing used to use the same shape for both a Capital (upper case) and a lower case “a” - several of the letters did have the same shape in both upper and lower case, plus or minus a curly joining loop on one side or the other.
The Upper Case was twice the height but the same shape, without the little joining loop on the bottom left of the letter, so in your example of Amy, the Capital A would have looked quite like an extra large lower case a.

I’ll see if I can add a pic of the old fashioned way of writing the Cursive alphabet.

This chap has kinda got a style similar to mine, but he writes indecisively and somewhat slow, where I dash it off as I’m thinking and I wouldn’t use a felt tip pen either. I like my qalam italic fountain pen when I’m writing to a good friend or a relation, and I use sepia ink :+1:

That’s it Boot, my Mum’s A’s.

1 Like