Hands Up... Who Likes Defrosting Their Freezer?

You know when you just can’t put it off anymore and you have to psych yourself up to tackle the task?
Well, that’s what happened to me but l am elated now l have completed the dreaded task.
I used lots of roasting trays filled with boiling water and the task wasn’t so bad.

Is defrosting your freezer a task you look forward to, or are you like me and dread it?
I have two other freezers that need defrosting too… God help me!!

Hate it.

How many little parcels of things you obviously thought it would be a good idea to freeze at the time but now you can’t remember what they are did you find?

1 Like

I always leave it until it’s too late and you can no longer close the door or get any food in…I realised this was a bad policy last year when it was accidentally left open slightly and a whole load of food had to be binned.

1 Like

Maree, l found so many of these… bits… that you thought might come in useful sometime!
When you find them, you don’t even recognise them! They look prehistoric! Ha!

1 Like

I used to hate doing it, but the freezer I have now is “frost free”, so it is much easier. Take everything out, give the sides, top and bottom a good clean, shelves and drawers get washed, then when all dry reassembled and food back in.

2 Likes

Annie, Actually, that’s what happened to me yesterday… the door wouldn’t close and l realised it was at crisis level!! Ha!!

It’s like relics, isn’t it? There’s a bag of yellow stuff in mine andI really don’t have a clue :thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Oh no! I hope you found out in time to save your steaks!

1 Like

Maver-rik, You big show off!!
I did think today, l wish l’d got a frost free fridge freezer!

Annie, That was funny!
I admit, last night whilst getting something out, l had to do a bit of sorting in order for the door to shut properly.
My steak is fine… TG.

1 Like

I never bother to defrost my freezer in Winter - I certainly wouldn’t do it in the current weather we’re having! it’s been snowing all day and it’s not much above freezing outside right now, so my small chest freezer in the garage would take ages to defrost!

I have a fridge-freezer in the kitchen and a small chest freezer in the garage.
I usually gradually use up my stock of frozen food over Winter, then when the weather warms up, I can empty the outside freezer and transfer it into the kitchen freezer and leave the chest freezer open to defrost at ambient temperature.

It doesn’t really build up that much frost, so it doesn’t take long.
I think modern freezers are so much better sealed than the old ones, which used to build layers of frost around the sides.

Then if the kitchen freezer needs defrosting, I can just move the frozen stuff back into the chest freezer,while the kitchen one defrosts.
To be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever needed to defrost the kitchen fridge-freezer I have now - it never seems to form any ice build up in the few years I’ve had it.

I usually try to defrost my garage freezer around May / June, so it’s ready for any summer and autumn fresh fruit and veg I may want to freeze.
Then I eat that over the Winter.

2 Likes

I’ve got a freezer that doesn’t need defrosting, so I guess I’m a show off too. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Phew! :smiley:

1 Like

Likewise.

1 Like

Show off. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Actually we have two… :sunglasses:

4 Likes

My freezer is frost-free, too … :+1:

1 Like

Oh yes, everybody’s jumping on the bandwagon now. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I used to hate doing it with my 40 year old chest freezer because it was just like a large bucket and drying it out was a bastard.but its replacement has a drain with a plug . Don’t know how well it works though because I haven’t had to do it yet

1 Like

Frost free here too, but it’s still a chore clearing out the items in the big freezer at the bottom of the French door fridge. It’s a battle against the clock endeavor, putting everything quickly into coolers and do the wipe down before the big thaw commences.

By far and away, the easiest way to clean the surfaces of a freezer is with alcohol, since it has a lower freezing point that water.

3 Likes